It runs! (finally) but....

Excuse the rambling but, Just got my 81 westy back from the mechanic and it turned out to be the double relay, the points and a leaking intake man. gasket. I also missed a couple of important brackets but otherwise the mech. said I did a very good job. And it no longer sounds like a sewing machine on it's very last legs. Anyways to the problem at hand. When the mechanic phoned me he told me that the lights all around were being very strange. The front indicators would come on when the brakes were applied. The reverse lights would cause the engine to stall. The headlights being on causes the engine to stall. Thinking I may have some kind of short to ground because when you start it with all the fuses in the running lights come on very dimly. I tell you, it seems like this van just doesn't want to start going down the road again.

On a lighter note, my girlfriend who owns the van was clueless that it was coming back from the shop today and I phoned and told her that the mechanics had blown the motor up again and I was going to have to rebuild it again. This is of course after we've spent over 4 grand getting the thing back together. I also told her that she was going to have to pay them $700 for the trouble too. She hit the roof until I told her I was joking. I got hit kinda hard when I got home but it sure was good for a laugh.

Anyways any ideas appreciated like usual! Cheers

Reply to
westfaliaguy

glad to hear of the forward progress....the only thing that jumps out to me that could be partof the problems you are having now are bad tail light bulb feeding back through from brakelights to the parking lights....chased that problem myself one time....a real headslapping moment when you finally change the fifty cent bulb and the problem is gone after many troubleshooting sessions...start easy, replace all bulbs in the brake/parking curcuits... not sure if the westy has the backup lights wired similar to the older vw's but they used to get power from the coil...if wired to the negative side(where the points plug in) it would cause the engine to stall every time you put it in reverse....i'm sure Speedy Jim will be along shortly to solve all your electrical woes....goodluck

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

This is one area I have some knowledge of. Current will find the easiest path to the (-) of the battery so if the factory grounds are missing or corroded it will ground through any metal part of the body or frame to get there. In its path it can go through other circuits and light bulbs and much more as you know. I put new ground wires and ends on each of the rear lights, dash. strap on trans to body. I also put new ground wire on the negative side of the battery. Check all grounds and if in doubt add another one. My bus lights now are all bright, signals work fast, starts quickly, charges quickly at 13.8 volts when needed. Good luck, you can fix this

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

OK here's a real head scratcher...... Went ahead and cleaned all contacts in the taillights and rear of body. Put them back in and started re-installing fuses. However I left them disconnected. Went to start the van and it wouldn't. re-connecting them sorted it however I still have problems. So I disconnected the #1&#2 fuses and put the two final fuses back in in the book it suggests they're the turn signals and the reverse lights. Turn signals are fine with the ignition off front and back. However with the van running the front is correct the rear is reversed. ????? And the reverse lights don't kill the motor now they just make it run funny.... Stumbling etc. Anyways the girlfriend broke the only lightbulb we had left under the cabinet so I'll be back at it tomorrow.... Any ideas? I'm starting to think I got some of the wiring wrong in the little black box under the lid.....

Reply to
westfaliaguy