timing belt on 89 BMW 325i

Car stopped running today out of the blue. Only getting spark at one plug wire when cranking engine. I suspect timing belt is no longer turning cam. I am pretty good with motors but this would be my first BMW timing belt if that is what it is. Anyone done this on this model? Should I run it to a shop or is it worth the trouble? I'm not a novice at cars.

Reply to
keith.weibe

If your not a novice at cars, why not take off the oil filler cap and see if the cam is actually turning. If not, you now have a bunch of bent valves. If it is turning, maybe check the cap and rotor.

-Rob

Reply to
Rob Munach

Reply to
JimV

You could say "A broken timing belt [might] means bent valves." I've had a broken belt on an interference engine and it's fine. It's a matter of luck many won't get as the odds are against you.

Reply to
Koji San

Update Sunday. I have parts to pick up today. Belt and tensioner. I am preparing for pulling the head, but will go for replacing these two parts and go from there.

The vehicle is > You could say "A broken timing belt [might] means bent valves." I've had a

Reply to
keith.weibe

We have a running engine. Boy does it run bad though. At half throttle she'll run. I would suspect at

180 degrees off, that it wont runn at all, so I think course timing is right. Any suggestions? am I a tooth off?

Oh NO backfires...so I guess I'm ok there.

"keith.weibe" wrote:

Reply to
keith.weibe

Some engines will run with the distributor 180 off, not well, but they will chug along under no load.

Mike

"keith.weibe" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

took the valve cover off the m20 to reveal broken rocker arms on cylinders

5 > Car stopped running today out of the blue.
Reply to
keith.weibe

You will probably find the valves are all bent too.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Burley

Update: yes. 7 Valves were bent. Some of the rockers also. I am replacing them all. I have gaskets and am almost ready to go. I attempted to get a used cam and they kept arriving broken via uPS. I finally got a good one of those and I should be going back together monday night or into tuesday night.

I was in an accident in my 95 Chevy (ehich this group helped me fix fuel leaks on earlier in the year) and it is reportedly totalled but I think I can fix it up myself and keep her. So I am busy but now getting back to the Beemer! I'll give a report soon on its status.

Steve Burley wrote:

Reply to
keith

Update: yes. 7 Valves were bent. Some of the rockers also. I am replacing them all. I have gaskets and am almost ready to go. I attempted to get a used cam and they kept arriving broken via uPS. I finally got a good one of those and I should be going back together monday night or into tuesday night.

I was in an accident in my 95 Chevy (ehich this group helped me fix fuel leaks on earlier in the year) and it is reportedly totalled but I think I can fix it up myself and keep her. So I am busy but now getting back to the Beemer! I'll give a report soon on its status.

Steve Burley wrote:

Reply to
keith

but now getting back to the Beemer!