it's springtime and fancy turns to......

....workin' on the car in the driveway (for those of us without garages) and so this means it is the time for the annual Sneak's sermon. I have 2 words for everyone:

JACK STANDS

Not blocks of wood. Not cinderblocks. Good, sturdy 4-point jack stands. NEVER EVER just a jack. Please. To some this might be common sense or standard practice, but just in case it isn't...yada yada yada.

Ok. With that out of the way, hi everyone, I'm back I think. I hope. Snow is gone, work still taking all my time but hopefully the '68 will get some love this spring. I actually got it on the road for 20 days in the fall, but still have tons to do. Hope all is well with everyone....

Sneaks '68 T1

Reply to
Sneaks

Anyone know where I can find metric jack stands for these furrin cars? Even the Chinese ones from Horrible Freight is in inches......18 1/8" to 24".

Oh darn, it isn't April 1 anymore...... nevermind.

Reply to
Karl

Hi Sneaks, and welcome back :)

Things are rolling fast here for a change, busy at work, then come home, change clothes and head to the garage, to return home around midnight... then go to bed and wake up at 7, and repeat. Every day of the week. Except weekends, they are 100% garage time.

Got my convertible "done" (if they ever are) and I'm now working on the bus I sold about a year ago.

Got 16 work days left and about a month left of this crappy weather, then I'm all done with it. ;)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Thanks for the reminder. I actually find myself going one further lately. I leave the jack in place as well as the stands....just one more safety. Everyone work safe. Be safe. I am on my way to NY this week to bury my cousin who was in a boating accident this weekend in New Orleans. Remember, its not just yourself...there are many others that will be affected. It only takes one moment of inattention to take from this world something irreplaceable...

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Sorry to hear of your loss. Dennis

href="

"Den'sDogs

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Thank you Dennis. It all seems so damn pointless. .I'm sorry...I'm not trying to take away from your sentiments..I appreciate them...but damnit I think I may want to go to hell. I cannot fathom a god that is righteous...that took my uncle half throught high school...that took my father 6 months from graduation.that took my cousin's husband a few short months after marriage and birth of their child. The same passionate god allowed my best friend to screw me out of a couple thousand dollars...and write off years of friendship for pennies. And now this. My cousin decided, out of the blue, last month to visit for a weekend. He came here on a moments notice. Said...he just needed a break. We sat on the shore and played guitar. It was unexpected and spontaneus. Alex never did anything like this before. We watched the boats running put to the harbor. Alex pointed them out and remarked about how good a job the concrete people had done on his backard boat ramp. He was coming back from the sand knoll saturday evening. They struck a submerged log on the river. The boat capsized. He was run over by the baot following and found the next day. If it wasn't for alex I would not have had the drive to be where I am both musically an buisness wise in life. My Aunt has lost her two brothers.....her father and mother...and now her nephew. We are running out of pallbearers....

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Sneaks escreveu:

I always put the tires under the car when I remove them.

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

Hi Jan

Good to know that you "done" your convertible. You have to show some pictures. It is a split bus? The other day my wife dreamed that we had a split bus white and yellow :-)

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

Here ya go

Yep, a 66 splittie.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Hi Jan,

It looks very good! Gothic-look? How many HP? Size and carbs? You have all that snow right now? How many windows on the bus?

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

Thank you :)

Gangsta-Gothic-Rat look :D

Hmm.. haven't dynoed it and the carbs are not tuned properly yet, but it should make something between 150-180hp

79*90.5 = something like 2033cc (welded crank) Dual Dellorto 45 Custom made Cam, 310degrees duration, 10,8mm lift

1.25 rockers, bringing valve lift to 13.5mm CR 10.3:1 EMPI heads, 40x35.5mm valves, professional porting and valve job, flowed 165hp at 12mm lift in a flowbench

Yes, but it's melting fast. Lots of rain, but sometiomes it snows still.

Umm.. 13?

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

LOL I like it!

The engine of my dreams!!! :-)

When you have a little time take a few pictures of the engine. I would love to se it!!! What a beast it must be!!! Now I know why you want to take it with you. With that snow you shouldn't have cooling issues :-)

With so many windows no need of an AC! LOL

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

Sorry to hear this Gary....you know where everyone is, if you need something...Prayers going out for you and your family.

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Thanks:)

What bus? The red one you dragged home a while back? I'm sooooo out of touch! I painted the '68 last fall in the driveway, came out half-decent, but I think I'm gonna reshoot it this summer now that I know more what I'm doing. Still have the interior to do, minor brake work, and sort out the motor some (dump the mechanical dizzy and get a VA). Have to hunt down some parts and stuff (you know, the fun stuff). Whooohooo. Spent the winter working the motorcycle in the bedroom and the bedroom itself. Anyway, I guess I need to catch up on stuff, huh?

Oh, and if anyone has a complete fresh air box for a '68 T1 (I need it all, vents, box, etc) for a reasonable price, I'm looking for one.

Sneaks '68 T1

Reply to
Sneaks

Most people seem to like the "ugliest bug in the country". ;)

Mine too.. only next time I'll go even bigger and meaner, hehe.. in FL I don't need to worry about stupid finnish laws...

It doesn't look like much. Nothing fancy. "Function before form", not too many chromed dress-up items. No colors, just black and aluminum. Well the alternator pulley is chromed and the lower pulley is shiny aluminum. They were cheap and they do their job.

I can't get it past +84C in +5C weather. And that's teh record on a longer, sustained highway drive at about 120kph. Usually it stays around

70C at normal highway speeds (100kph/60mph) Cooling flaps are there, but there is no room for thermostat so they are always fully open. The exhaust system comes in the way of the thermostat, I haven't solved that little problem yet.

Both cars have a BN4 gasoline heater.... :) We don't generally need AC.. we need heat

Jan

Reply to
Jan

.=2E. doesn't look like much. Nothing fancy. "Function before form",

I don't like cromed engines. I like them black with big carbs

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

that will change in florida....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

LOL

........It doesn't take long in 90+ degree heat and 90+ per cent humidity to start wanting some snow!

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Snow will still be coming out of my ears for a good year or two after I move. Sheesh.

I don't mind snow... on tv for example. If I want to go out in the snow, I don't mind hopping on a plane and traveling to a place where there is some. I just don't want to be stuck knee deep in the middle of it with no alternative.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I thought we'd seen the end of it, but back to scraping the windows again this morning..

James

Reply to
Juper Wort