It's this shape civic I quite fancy

http://www.youtube.com/w/Snelle-Civic?v=x5QUDOS5ELM&search=civic

but maybe not quite so much electronics.

--
Carl Robson
Car PC Build starts again. http://smallr.com/rz

So does everyone else.
Hence how much one worth having fetches these days - either go for the saloon (which is a bit of a sleeper, really), or consider doing as I have - B16 into a 216 GTi.
HTH
-- JackH
says...

Seen a couple round our way.
I take it that the VTi is the DOHC and the ESi is the single cam motor in these. Much difference in value and performance or insurance between them? Very nice looking. Can the dash from later models be swapped in? I love the shape of the EG, but prefer some of the interior layout of the EK models.
--
Carl Robson
Car PC Build starts again. http://smallr.com/rz

They appear to be able to go quite well...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-807060716240433153&q=Civic
--
Dan

have -

I know someone with an ESi - goes quite well actually.
I believe there was a warmer LSi in between that and the VTi - the 'E' apparently stands for 'Economy', and it's a 1.5 SOHC VTEC.
No idea about stuff like dashes.
VTi is the one with the most tuning potential though, and is set up for poke rather than economy.
If you're not too fussed about performance, I saw an M plate 1.4 Marlin in that shape for 1100 or near offers, last week.
-- JackH
says...

Don't want to hammer a 1.4 up the motorway everyday. It will be shagged in no time. -- Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again. http://smallr.com/rz Homepage: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com

Eh?
You muppet.

in
Indeed.
You can tell he's not owned many Honda propelled vehicles, eh... ;-)
-- JackH

Indeed.
We both know of a certain 750cc Honda propelled vehicle that's been used, abused, thrashed and crashed, but is still going strong at over 120k miles ;-)

Marlin
Aye.
I scrapped my first GTi with something like 165k under it - head gasket had been weeping for over a month, but it still drove spot on until the day my mate left the expansion tank cap off, having filled it with water.
Had he not done that, it would have been worth sorting.
Great engineering. :-)
-- JackH

I like that - looks brisk :D
The saloon ones can be quite nice too, I liked the ones in TF&TF, even the neons appeared to fit quite well.
--
Dan

prefer some of the Civic coupes to the the saloons myself. But FnF ones did like quite good. A matching set of simple lowered black cars de-badged in convoy always looks special.
--
Carl Robson
Car PC Build starts again. http://smallr.com/rz

Surely the interest in this model range civic is down to timing and good luck! Contemporary road tests rated them, especially the coupe as I remember, 'dull but worthy'. Drum brakes..on a 'high tech' jap car(?) and as for the bland interior, its no wonder people feel the need to stick Carbon-fibre 'look' vinyl all over it! The whole US 'ricer' thing took off at the same time as these cars became available at a second-hand price that spotty american oiks could afford. These oiks being the prime audience for that wonderful film The Fat & the Fooking Shit, the civics (3 coupes if I remember rightly with lots of plastic tat added) were added into the movie's fleet and hey presto, a marketing bullseye for Honda and Universal
says...

I think the VTi model had discs all round (will need to double check) and isn't that slow a beasty.
--
Carl Robson
Car PC Build starts again. http://smallr.com/rz
NeedforSwede2 wrote:

It did, as did the ESi, and I think the LSi. The VTi definitely isn't slow.
A lot of the tuners in the USA who take the supercharging route with the civic start with the B16A - the non vtec lump. This may be because they use positive displacement 'chargers, so the Vtec becomes somewhat irrelvant, or it may not. Possibly worth asking around on some of the US tuning forums and see if there is a specific reason.

Wrong
<looks at B16A VTEC lump under bonnet of 216 GTi>
B16A = Jap spec SiR (VTi equivalent) lump B16A1 = UK spec VTi lump
(IIRC)
The non VTECs are D16s, at least in the CRX.
-- JackH
JackH wrote:

Oops. Yup, you are right - D16 is SOHC and B16 is DOHC, although there were Vtec variants of the D16. Anyway, there used to be more 'charging options for the SOHC D16 than for the DOHC B16, and the Esi is usually slightly cheaper than the VTi, so if the plan is to 'charge it, then that might be more sensible.

Wrong again. ;)
My 216, prior to me getting jiggy with the B16, had a DOHC D16 - D16A9 to be precise.
Most US market stuff of that era if 1.6 was SOHC, be it VTEC or otherwise, but they also had the relatively rare equivalent to the A9, in the D16ZC.
The SOHC D16 as seen in all Mk2 non DOHC 216s, is the D16A8.
There are other variations, but seeing as they weren't standard in the 216 or more pokey than the B16, I've never been that inclined to look into them any closer, other than I believe the 1.6 Civic VTECs other than the VTi are D16s.
A popular conversion amongst the less gifted in 216 circles, is to fit the SOHC VTEC head to the SOHC D16A8 as seen in almost all standard pre K series saddled Tomcats - this head won't fit a DOHC D16, even though the I believe it's essentially the same as the SOHC, block wise.
Don't be fooled as I was originally, that the B and D16s are an easy swap, either - many more differences than you'd think, for two engines that are from the same manufacturer, seen in the same car (CRX had both at one stage), and that are 5ccs apart in terms of capacity.

The B16 will allegedly take a turbo conversion without any internals being changed so long as you don't take the piss with how much boost you run, whereas the D16 is regarded as a weaker engine, bottom end wise, and not that suited to being turbo'ed unless you strengthen the internals first.
I believe the ZC as seen in the US is stronger than the A9 in this respect though.
Anyone seriously interested in this kind of stuff could do worse than speak to the guys on the main CRX forum here in the UK - I spent some time talking to a couple of the more friendly ones on their stand at JAE in 2004, and they were very helpful and knowledgeable.
-- JackH
JackH wrote:

Ahh, fuck off. :)

The (apparently incomplete!) list I have doesn't include the A9 - all the D16s on it are SOHC. It S/DOHC seemed a logical distinction..

Ah, Um. Interesting. So how similar are the B16 and B18 for swappability?

That makes sense. I know there was someone on hondahookup.com running a B16 with (I think) a jackson s/c at just over 400BHp on stock bottom end.

Cool.

the
LOL.
Sorry, but these are one of the few motors I know a *bit* about. ;-)

to be

otherwise,
D16ZC.
I think the A9 might actually be the ZC you know... that might be why the list you have doesn't have it shown.

swap,
are
It is if you've got it into your head a B16 is just D16 with a fancy head, and will therefore just drop straight into your Rover. ;-)

From what I've read in Rover terms, they again, are more different than you'd think they'd be. I know a B18 conversion to a 216 involves modding a little of the bulkhead away in order to get it correctly positioned with the hubs etc., for driveshaft purposes.

being
If I get bored with mine (when it's eventually up and running properly!), I'm interested in the turbo route.
-- JackH