No ground to fuel pump relay from alarm relay on 2000 Mexican Beetle

DAY 1- I have a situation I can not figure out on my 2000 Mexibeetle. I am not getting power to the fuel pump after replacing the battery. The relay is not getting power from the alarm (immobilizer) even though I have inserted the security key before attempting start up. Is there a "sequence" of things I should have done after installing the new battery? Everything else seems to be working perfectly I just can't get the alarm system to send power to the fuel pump relay. DAY 2- I have narrowed the problem down to no ground coming to the fuel pump relay from the alarm relay in the fuse box. I can ground the fuel pump relay to get it to kick in and the pump (and car) runs fine. The ground should be coming from terminal 8A on the alarm relay. I guess I will have to pull the fuse box to figure out when the ground is suppose to come from that feeds the relay to determine if the relay is the problem or if the ground is not getting to the relay to start with. Is there any problem with me grounding the fuel pump relay with a "temporary" wire until I can get this all figured out? If the only thing the alarm normally does is prevent the ground in the fuel pump relay circuit then I don't see this temporary fix causing any problem but I don't want to screw anything up.

Reply to
fitzpata

Never worked on one, but I don't see any reason not to do it. Make sure the engine will shut off though...

Look around the battery holder and the battery ground cables for signs of a missing wire or of a corroded connection which might have gotten disturbed.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Had a similar issue on my 2003 New Beetle...since it was under warranty, it wasn't really a cost issue, but the dealer replaced the immobilizer control module....in my case, the car would start for about 2-3 seconds and then shut off...from reading the repair manual for the car, the immobilizer provides ground for the fuel pump relay and interrupts the ground when one of two situations occur:

  1. Key used to start vehicle cannot be authenticated
  2. Airbags Deploy

Seeing as your 2000 Mexican Beetle doesn't have an airbag, you might find that the problem lies with your security key....just a thought.

- Peter

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Pete, What are you using as a repair manual for your 2003 type 1? Does it deal with the ECU, fuel injection, and ignition system? I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to find a manual for this model. Thanks, George Herzog

Reply to
George

George, Pete said he had a New Beetle not aircooled. I too am looking for a repair manule for my 2000 Mexican aircooled Beetle. If you find one (even in Spanish) please let me know. I am just glad I have a wiring diagram from the UK beetle web site. Thanks guys for your help and advise on my "no ground" problem.

Reply to
fitzpata