Question

Ok, first let me get this out of the way....I am not now nor was I ever in a previous life, a mechanic !! And for what ever reason, I have now purchased and in the process of restoring a 74 Std Bug. That said,

I'm getting the car ready for a new paint job. I removed the two running boards (a whole other story) and moved on to the fenders. Both came off rather easy. Here's the question: On the underside of the fenders (wheelwell) there appears to be some sort of undercoating which is flaking off in big chunks.

Can I scrape/sand all this junk off and respray the undercoating ? What type of undercoating ? Before the new paint job I assume? Thanks for all the help, and brace yourselves now for more and more dumb questions to come !!!

Susan

74 Std Bug Fl.
Reply to
Susan S.

On Sun, 16 May 2004 18:34:46 -0500, "Susan S." ran around screaming and yelling:

yes you can...i recommend a wire wheel on a grinder for removal....works for me...i would prepare the surface underneath(since the wirewheel will also remove paint) and let that get some paint during the paint process...then mask off and spray with rubberized undercoating during reassembly.... my two pennies JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I prefer using a paint-removal tip on a propane torch. Don't set the stuff on fire. Just warm it up enough to scrape the goo off.

But there is no real harm on leaving it on if it is all intact without gaps open with rust clearly showing through. It is rustproofing, after all.

Reply to
jjs

Scrape it clean now, the torch method works well, primer must go on all bare metal, undercoat last as this will black out all overspray when car is done.

Reply to
Douglas