replacing spring plate bushings and diagonal arm grommets

Howdy folks,

I've got a '69 Bug and the spring plate bushings and diagonal arm grommets need replacing. Is this a job for the DIYer, or is it better farmed out to a shop? How involved and complicated is this job? I will appreciate any help on this matter. Also, I plan on going with rubber spring plate bushings instead of urethane, but I'll probably get the urethane diagonal arm grommets. Any comments on this? The car is a stock daily driver. Thanks!

Dane Tyler '69 Bug '63 Bug

Reply to
Dane Tyler

DIY ... but get a tool to hold tension on the spring-plates for removal.

http://63.230.74.177/baja/MVC-044F.JPG Max

Reply to
Max Welton

I LOVE my torsion tool! it was definitly a good investment. One tip on it though, and this is really ir your reindexing higher (like for a baja) use a washer a regular nut instead of the butterfly nut. sometimes its easier to move the plate back up with a long wrench than the butterfly config.

I also like to have some longer bolts ready for re-installing the torsion covers. And using something like PB Blast a few days before on all the bolts/pivot helps a little.

Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro