short rotor for electronic ignition

I used a hacksaw to trim it down..... took all of a minute if I remember correctly. I haven't been shocked by my new wires so it does sound like you might have some cracking in the insulation. Now the wires I had before you could see it arcing to the cooling tin at night, and they looked in decent shape.

Mac

Reply to
Mac

Does anyone know the part# for a short rotor that will work w/ electronic ignition units that sit below the rotor? The stock Bosch rotor I'm using is too tall/long.

I just installed a Empi electronic (magnetic) ignition unit in my dizzy (stock vacuum unit). When I first started it up I almost sh!% myself when, even thought it was clasped down, I saw the distributor cap "dancing" on the distributor body! I was amazed that the engine ran at all.

After some comparisons of where the rotor sat w/ and w/o the magnetic disk in place it was obvious that the rotor was sitting taller ontop of the magnetic disk. This was most likely lifting the cap as the rotor spun.

I recalled a thread here in RAMVA that it might be necessary to sand the rotor. So I broke out the coarse sandpaper and found a flat surface. I also had to use my scissors to trim the metal clip inside the rotor. 5-min later I had a "short" rotor. After installing it, the cap stopped "dancing"... whew!

Please someone tell me I don't have to sand every rotor I buy from now on. Someone must make a short rotor that will work w/ the modified ignitions. Anyone have a part#?

AsMan

P.S. - While tuning the carb I was jolted a couple times when I touched the cap or one of the plug wires near the cap... is this normal? Or, is it an indication that there is a "leak" in the ignition system (spark found it easier to ground thru me than the plug)? All my common ignition parts are new (cap, rotor, electronic ignition instead of points, plug wires, plugs... all are new)

Reply to
AshMan

Reply to
john