Starter Woes

Had the clutch tube welded and stalled on the drive home. Starter clicked. After an unsuccessful attempt at bump starting, the starter engaged and I drove home. Nothing after that but a click. Charged battery, changed starter, now no click, nothing. Tried a remote starter button (maybe wiring, you know) and the starter whirrs, but doesn't engage. Any ideas? I'm thinking maybe bad starter, bad wiring, or ???

PEV

Reply to
stinkbug

When you hooked up this start switch, did you also bypass the solenoid?

--Mike

Reply to
Mike Fritz

What year is your VW?

Try this: Connect a voltmeter to the (+) side of the ignition coil with the other connection to a ground. Turn the igntion to the accessory position -- where the warning lamps turn on. Check to see if you have 12v at the coil. If not, you most likely have a bad ignition switch.

Reply to
luftgekuhlten

I think he most likely means to do this test in the ON position. I didn't think any air cooled VW even HAD an accessory position.

-

Jim Adney

Whatever ....

Reply to