clutch cable tube

When I installed a new Bowden in my '68 bug the clutch cable tube slipped foreward about an inch. This shift reduced the curvature of the tube. Is it alright to just put in another spacer to restore the Bowden tube flexion? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Ken

Reply to
Kenneth Snider

Yes it's ok to use washers between the bowden tube and teh rear bracket it slips into. Not an insane amount of washers, there has to be enough tube left to slip into the hole in the bracket so it won't slip out.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Are you saying that your tube broke free of the welds in the tunnel? later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Sure sounds to me like that's what happened!!

Reply to
John Kuthe

Sounds like one of two things has actually happened here.

Most likely is that when you replaced the cable you had to take the Bowden tube off. When you put it back in place it didn't go all the way on until you put some force on the cable. Then it slipped back into it's original position. If this is what happened, then there's nothing you need to do other than readjust the cable.

The other possibility is that the solid tube in the tunnel broke it's weld to the bulkhead. When this happened the force on the cable pulled the joint between the solid tube and the Bowden tube forward until they were stopped when the larger diameter of the Bowden tube hit the bulkhead.

If this is your problem then you have a couple of choices. You can stack several washers over the solid tube until they build up far enough to support the forward end of the Bowden tube in the correct position. Or you can take a single washer, slide it onto the solid tube and weld it to the tube, and possibly the bulkhead. If you do the latter you need to be careful not to weld THRU the wall of the tube.

-

Jim Adney

Unless you are a pro, I believe it's very difficult to *not* deform the inner portion of the tube. Brazing is much safer.

God luck. ( I like this repair best , but am afraid of the welding holes in the tube thing )

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®