Clutch woes

It sounds like you are right - but these symptoms can be casued by the end-float on the master cylinder being too tight. It's a bit of a long shot, but checking this *could*, just possibly fix it, but it's not too likely. If you do strip the master cylinder and the bore is un-damaged (i.e. no scoring) a repair kit may work.

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

Hi

My sister's landie (vile yellow 90 by the name of Bill) is having the following clutch problem:

The problem started with a suspected air bubble - squishy pedal and bite point further down the pedal than normal. It was like this for some time and gear changes were OK.

We decided to bleed the clutch to remove the air. With the bleed nipple open, fluid is expelled on the downwards stroke of the clutch pedal. Fair enough. However, when the nipple is closed and the pedal returned to the top of its travel, then the nipple opened again, air is admitted with a hiss and the fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir remains the same.

The clutch will now not release - the squisyness goes all the way to the floorboards.

We suspect either a partially seized master cylinder (the clutch has been squeeking for some time - possibly the springs / trunion but maybe not??) or crud in the works.

Is there anything else to try before we change the master cylinder?

Cheers, Paul and Sara

Reply to
Paul Coleman