Transmission bolt snapped off, what now?

I was attempting to remove one of the 2 transmission mount to frame bolts to attach the tranny ground strap, and it snapped off. I felt around the back of the mount and it doesn't feel like a regular bolt, the head feels flat. Are these replaceable? Are they welded in? Can they be replaced without pulling the motor/trans? Any help would be apprecaited. Thanks!

Reply to
Steve Gift

We are still trying to get to the ground strap? The electrical ground? Okay, that's not the location of the ground strap that I know of. If you are looking for the real ground strap, it's probably a flat copper strap about 4" long, 1" wide and it's by the left (driver's side) frame horn, front of the left rear wheel. It goes from the tranny to the frame horn. Hope this helps.

If all else fails, you can always make your own ground strap. Any good stout wire (braided, or twisted, not household wire) with a little slack from the body (frame horn) to the tranny will do.

If you aren't looking to establish a ground strap, then let us know what's up. What you are doing is loosening the front transmission mount. Don't do that. :)

Reply to
J Stafford

Wait. I forgot you were here to drain the swamp, not hunt alligators.

The front tranny mount bolt broke. Right? Yer screwed.

Somebody! Help the man! I'd be dropping the tranny about now, welder and cutter ready.

Reply to
J Stafford

Which bolt are you talking about? The one on the transmission, the one on the frame horn or not pictured? Here are pics of a '73 super rear end.

4play (@\|/@)(.\~/.)
I guess.>
Reply to
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

BTW the one on the frame horn may not be visible to you as this picture was taken from a rear end that has been cut off of a bug. Top looking down. You may have to feel for it.

4play (@\|/@)(.\~/.)
> mounting bracket there that is between the chassis and the transmission.> > There are 2 bolts sticking out, nuts facing towards the rear of the car,> > bolt heads facing the front. One bolt on either side of the bracket.> > Hopefully this helps you figure out what I'm talking about. Hard to> explain
Reply to
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

Here is a link to a picture of the mounting bracket, attached to the tranny. This bracket is then bolted to the chassis. One of the bolts that holds that bracket to the chassis snapped off. Is is replaceable?

Steve Gift

So it is a 61-67 type one chassis - right? My '66 is not viewable tonight...

The transmission may need to be removed, the old bolt cut off, and a new one welded on. I just can't get under my 66 tonight to find out.

4play (@\|/@)(.\~/.)

(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

Yeah, its a '63 chassis. I think you now know the bolts I'm talking about. I need to know if they're bolts or studs. I feel around back, where the head of the bolt should be, and there is a round head there, but no hex shape or the like. I was wondering of those are just welded onto the back of that bracket.

alligators.

Reply to
Steve Gift

Probably but I am not able to find out tonight.

>> > The transmission may need to be removed, the old bolt cut off, and a new> one
Reply to

.....................Those two bolts are tack welded to the bracket on the side where the round heads are. If you can find a high speed grinder that will fit in there, you can grind away enough of the head to allow you to punch out what's left of the broken bolt. If you have a welder, you can spot weld the head of a replacement bolt to the bracket. If not, then I'd just use a nut and bolt and forget about securing the head like the original broken one.

Reply to
Tim Rogers