Where can i get a c-clip for my speedometer cable?

i need a c-clip because my speedo isnt working. where can i get a c-clip that they use on my 69 bug? Does the c-clip help spin the speedometer cable?

Reply to
69vwdude
69 Dude, The hole in the end of the bearing cap center is square. The end of the speedo cable is square. Square hole square peg. As the wheel turns it also turns the cable..therefore speedo works. If your cable end is NOT sticking through the openning...the cable will not turn. The tiny "C" clip or circlip can be found at Sears hardware...maybe even a good PEP boys. The circlip just keeps the cable end from slipping out of the square opening and not turning. There is a groove in the square end of the cable. Measure it and find the appropriate size circlip and you are in business. Eric 68 Bug 62 Ghia both topless
Reply to
Stutzsr

Almost anything will work. I used to wrap a small piece of wire around mine after I lost the c-clip on my '63 bug. There's very little pressure on the cable against the cap as they turn together.

Reply to
M.Paul

i haven't gotten around to putting anything on mine and it hasen't fell out yet. David

Reply to
David

Yeah but the opening provides a handy means for crap to get INTO the bearing housing. At the very least, use a properly sized washer to help block the hole (grease it good) then secure the cable with safety wire (later) or a Cotter pin (early).

The C-clip is standard metric hardware. There's an SAE size that's close enough to fit if you squeeze it slightly closed.

The cover is supposed to be pried off and driven on (use a matching diameter of exhaust pipe; a coupling will work). DON'T hit the cup with a hammer or you'll distort it. Yeah, it still fits, but after you pound on it the thing will no longer form a grease-tight seal.

Another of those 'unimportant' details :-) (Which you can find in the Workshop Manual.)

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Veeduber

Okay Mr Hoover I will put a clip on tomorrow, I try not to be one of the kiddies you always refer to. Then you point something out that I don't think about , but I do put some extra grease in the cap before I put it on. David

Reply to
David