1991 240 Radio removal

I can remove an engine but apparently a radio is beyond me.

The car is a 1991 UK spec 240 with the OEM radio above the vents. I want to install a CD player in the old-style radio area in front of the gear lever. This photo shows the radio and vents:

do you remove the old one? There are two screws (torx head) which, when removed, make it wobble but it won't withdraw enough to detach the wires. I thought I'd try and remove the vents and glove box to aid myself. I couldn't remove either - the vents wouldn't shift (I could only see one screw next to the inst panel which only freed one side) and the glove-box has two totally inaccessible screws which seemingly require the 'lid' to be removed before the screws can be got at.

After removing the centre console I found the OEM amp which is behind the main support. It has a multi-way connector and a DIN socket. Does anybody know the pin-out / wiring colour code for the multi-way connector? My wiring diagram doesn't show this radio. The amp looks like this:

did succeed in changing some blown instrument lights though. Any help most gratefully received.

David

Reply to
David Balfour

I just recently went through this and figured it out with the help of someone on the group. In the back there's a security clip, it has a locking tab that pokes through a slot in a bracket and latches. I had to remove the glove box and reach in there with small pliars and bend the little tab until it broke off, there's not much room at all back there.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks James - I thought this might be the case. Is there an easy way to remove the lid of the glove box so I can access the two screws that face down at the bottom? I tried yesterday to disconnect the securing arm and managed to break it off.

I have some chubby screwdrivers but nothing that can seemingly get in there.

Reply to
David Balfour

Those were a pain too, I can't figure out why they're there, the older 240's don't have those two screws and I didn't put them back in the one I worked on. What I ended up doing was taking a screwdriver bit from my power screwdriver and gripping it with pliars to get those screws out.

Reply to
James Sweet

Some of them just have a rear strap screwed up under the dash. Just remove the middle speaker cover from the dash and there it is.

Reply to
bob

Inspired idea - thank you very much! They're also not there in the 240's around 1985, so who knows what purpose they serve other than to confuse the less-resourceful amongst us.

David

Reply to
David Balfour