'89 240 intermittent problem uk

Anyone help with this one.

'89 240 in the uk. This is the old non fuel injected type with manual choke. It has 180,000 miles.

Symptons are as follows

Car starts and runs without problem. If stuck in traffic, idle speed will gradually drop and will stall if allowed. Holding throttle slightly open, engine is lumpy with uneven running.

When in this condition, runs fine when under load but is lumpy when slowing down or going down hill.

This has happened several times since chrismas and it can last anything from a few seconds to 15 minutes.

I have taken it to the dealer but, of course, it would not go wrong at all that day.

Any ideas where I might look for this one I just do not want to do nothing and find it stops completely in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks

Reply to
Keith Barrett

Please tell us whether it has the twin barrel Solex carb or the Pierburg?

If the former then you have float chamber flooding due to one of about 4 reasons, if its got the Pierburg then either float chamber flooding, or more likely the wax stat for the hot run valve is sticking, or the needle/ jet is worn.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

It has the solex carb and now you mention it, I have noticed a smell of petrol just occasionally when the engine is turned off.

Reply to
Keith Barrett

More vevelopements today.

Pulled in for petrol and switched off. Restarted and engine stalled immediately. So, now I have now idle at all. In fact it is now lumpy under about 2000 revs below this level it cuts out.

Had a manifold gasket fail about 2 years ago and it was just like this. Dealer cannot look at it until 11th of feb.

So, if it is the manifold gasket will it stop completely or can I drive it sparingly if I put up with the stalling?

Reply to
Keith Barrett

I have had similar symptoms on other cars with blocked exhausts, usually when a catalytic converter fails & the insides blow into a muffler. Sometimes it blows a hole in the muffler which sort of masks the original problem.

Reply to
jg