940 to 850

I have a 940s estate and have seen an 850auto with all the bells and whistles up the road in the garage for sale. Its a "P" reg and he wants £3500 for it. Id like to upgrade to this fine car but wondering what to look out for as any problems are such a pain. Plus loans under £5K are not good on the interest rate as its in the

13% or more realm unless anyone knows better.
Reply to
xntrick

Whats the miles on the 850? Evidence of history? And which engine ??

If its been looked after backed up by lots of receipts and you check it carefully it sounds an ok buy. If its been abused, they can rapidly turn into a big money pit!

The auto box is known not to be hugely long lived- about 150k is the max (reason being no fluid changes are specified)

If its got aircon check it works- unless u are prepared to live without it- evaporators very commonly leak and its a dash out job to replace.

Otherwise,

Sagging rear suspension / sloppy handling (worn springs / shocks) Clonking from front (wishbones) Tappetty engine (lack of oil changes and worn followers - $$$$) Dirty coolant (headgaskets can fail- $$$$) ABS light on (ATE computer is known to be weak- $$$$ again!) Drivers door check strap breaking away from panel, also worn hinge pins (cheap to fix) Electric window switch pack bust (new ones are 70quid)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Try Direct Line for the loan (currently 5.9%). You will find the 850 more expensive to run than the 945 S, especially in the area of front tyres. However if you wish to buy the car don't let me stop you as you will probably get as much satisfaction from the 850 as you have done from your

945 S.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Thanks pete ill have a buchers....regards steve VOC 17953 UK the car btw has 138k on the clock and my 940 had the head gasgit done last year with the same millage so im a tad bothered.Im gonna ask a question in that realm on my next post as the website seems a pain to use so far and i go round in circles.

Reply to
xntrick