Check Engine Light...

Hello there,

The other night I ran out of gas, and the check engine light came on. I refilled the gas tank, but the light did not go off. I am fairly sure that nothing else broke down since the car runs normally, but I was wondering how ot reset that light with out having to go to a mechanic or the dealer. I read on brickboard that you just need to unplug the battery and let it sit for several minutes. I also read on there that you need to know or have a radio code. Can anyone please post the proper procedure to reset the check engine light. Thanks in advanace.

Reply to
Andy

First give it some time to see if it corrects itself. If it was really caused by a transient problem due to running out of gas, the computer may decide everything is OK after several startup/driving/shutdown cycles. Make sure the gas cap is on tightly.

Reply to
L David Matheny

When my check engine light came on because of misfiring caused by washing the engine, it went off after 3 trips to and from work (30 min,

35km.).
Reply to
Mike F

Thanks guys for the info.

Reply to
Andy

I had to reset the computer for the light to turn off.

Reply to
Andy