Gas Mileage on 940 Turbo

Recently bought a 94 940 Turbo wagon (automatic). I am getting 13 MPG in city driving. Jeez... This is like a Hummer!

I don't drive in the turbo range very often. I was expecting much better from a four cylinder engine - even with turbo.

Is this typical?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Kaplan

I don't think so. Assuming it is similar to our '85 765T (the B230FT engine), you should get mileage similar to ours: 20 mpg. I doubt you are using it mainly for shorter trips than my 3 mile commute. Is the temperature guage coming up to normal?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

In article , Dave Kaplan wrote: :Recently bought a 94 940 Turbo wagon (automatic). I am getting 13 MPG in :city driving. Jeez... This is like a Hummer! : :I don't drive in the turbo range very often. I was expecting much better :from a four cylinder engine - even with turbo. : :Is this typical? : :Dave : :

two successive '91 940Ts have delivered city from 18-21 mpg (winter has alchohol mixed in - you can see the difference) and highway

21-23mpg. something is very wrong with your machine.
Reply to
arthur wouk

yea...you should be in the 18-23 mpg range...check for vacume leaks, cracked turbo hoses...etc...then, do a std tune up...do you see any black smoke while "stepping on it"?..

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Sure. It's typical in the city ... where there's some little weasel siphoning/stealing half of the gas out of your tank maybe.

Or it'd be typical if there were a rust perforation at the seam in the tank causing you to lose a good portion out of every tankful ?

Otherwise, I'd say "Nope. Not typical."

Reply to
Eunoia Eigensinn

i was gettin' miliage like that when i 1st picked up my 93 940t...turns out, i had a cracked turbo hose...making the car run varry rich...i has some black smoke when i was stomping on it....it seemed to run rough and rich, as well...anyway it was fine once i replaced the hose...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Something is very wrong, you should be getting at least 18-20mpg around town and mid 20's on the highway.

Reply to
James Sweet

I was going to just jump in and quote the famous quip at you:

'Nobody ever bought a Volvo for the fuel economy'.

but then I converted your number (13 MPG) into my terms of reference and found that it is over 18 litres per 100 km. I'm sorry to say that that is shockingly high. Something is definitely wrong.

cheers,

Henry

Reply to
Henry

i would guess $ on "cracked turbo hose"...how many miles on the car...?

if over 100k.......i would guess hoses...hey, have you guys priced those babys (turbo hoses) from a volvo dealer?... they get, like $100 for each of the two big ones...some special shapes and designs in them...i tried to use a "getto", or home made one...it didn't work too well....the motor really "sucks" and "blows" a lot of air through them..I guess they need to be "just right" for the powerplant to breath correctally....this sorta dove tails into the thread on cone filters and the +/- of them.......outttt........

richard colorado still driving the %$#@ out of my 93 940t...i am seeing if i can "drive though" my current auto tranny......it sure shifts nice and smooth through the gears whilst under major boost action...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

I have replaced all the turbo hoses (except the blue piece on the turbo outlet) on our '85 765T. The turbo inlet hose (between the AMM and turbo) was the first to go and had the fewest symptoms. Feeling the bottom of that hose where it attaches to the turbo revealed a very soft spot that eventually just melted away. $150 US got me a replacement from Volvo, but I hear they are around $200 US now. The others, on the pressurized side of the turbo, produced a distinctive symptom when they failed. Acceleration was just fine until the turbo started spinning, then the mixture became extremely rich and power dropped to nearly nothing... magically restoring when the turbo spun down.

I think the entire cost of the turbo hoses was about $300 US, all told. Labor is trivial. I would have been better off to replace all the black hoses at the same time rather than to let my wife be basically stranded several times. The failures all came around the 200K mile mark.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I had an 86 Jetta GLI that only got about that kind of gas mileage driving it around SF...most trips were never over 5 miles. When I did take it out to the highway the gas mileage would return to the normal ~30mpg.

Reply to
Franz Bestuchev

get a Volvo tune up don't bother going to the $$$$$experts go to you small Volvo mechanic its cheaper and they know Volvos

Reply to
John Robertson

i agreee w/john.....i have had better luck w/independents...heck, the guy i go to now lets me hang out in his shop and "help"....but, i still can't touch his tools....he knows volvo's inside and out...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^