Is this worth the money

Volvo 740 estate, automatic, J reg, sips, bodywork, v.g.c, has new exhaust fitted, full m.o.t 6 months tax, 120k on the clock, price £750.00

Reply to
barry.marston

You can pick up an equivalent 940/960 for that sort of money. Personally I think they've aged better than the 700 series and that if you're contemplating a 700, buy a 200.

Just my tuppence ha'penny worth............

Reply to
PORK SODA

Thanks for your reply

Reply to
barry.marston

If the mechanics are sound, and there is no rust, you would certainly stand to get your money's worth. Old Volvos are ridiculously cheap for the amount of car that you get - you may find cheaper ones, but this one could be excelent value for money. A few years ago I paid much more for a 12 year old 740 estate that was in good condition. It was probably well over the list price, but it is the best money I've ever spent.

Check the coolant expansion tank for oily scum on the top - this is bad. Pull out the gearbox dipstick (below the engine dipstick at the back); the oil should be red. If it is brown, or smells burnt, walk away and don't look back. Listen for knocking sounds from the engine, particularly low down in the block - this is not desirable. When driving, listen for any whining from the back axle or transmission - you don't want this.

These are long lasting cars with a strong engine. They don't seem to suffer from rust in the way that the 240s did, but thoroughly check the bodywork - try and climb under it and have a good poke around; mine seems to be most vulnerable underneath at the back, under the load space. Small areas of rust can be patched economically, but if it gets hold, the life of the car is limited. Note that the tailgate and sunroof are aluminium, so won't rust, but they can corrode in an ally sort of way and cause the paint to bubble.

120k miles leaves plenty of scope for more - twice this is common. But as with all engines, the oil changes are important, and if these have been skimped on the engine will suffer. Also, don't expect a car of this age to be without its faults.

If I was in need of one, and all the above check out OK, I'd be very happy to pay the asking price.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

Thank you very much Stewart for your helpfull and informative reply.

Reply to
barry.marston

Personally I think so, but really it's a question only you can answer, a car is not an investment, will you get £750.00 worth of use out of it before you get tired of it?

Reply to
James Sweet

In message , James Sweet writes

What color is it?