US speak to English speak

What are the equivalent type of cars.

I am assuming that a wagon is what we call an estate, ie, no trunk, longer, with a back door. A sedan is a saloon, with a trunk at the back. We call the trunk a boot. Backup lights are reversing lights, the hood is a bonnet, and the windshield is a windscreen. So what do you call a hatchback, saloon length, but with an opening rear door.

Never really thought about it much until getting my Volvo and looking at predominately American postings to various forums. Backup lights really go me going, I though Volvo's had mysterious lights that came on if the bulb failed!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

We call it a hatchback!

Reply to
Erik Schneider

Here is some Canadian (probably with a German twist)

It will be British first, then Canadian:

Estate, or Estate wagon: Wagon, Station Wagon, 5 Door. Saloon: Sedan (4 door), Coupe (2 door) Hatchback: Hatchback, 5 door, 3 door Boot: Trunk Bonnet: Hood Reversing lights: Reverse lights (I have never heard of backup lights, sounds British to me tho) Windscreen: Windsheild (I use both) Tyres: Tires (I use both) Dipped beam: Low beams

Do you call a Convertible a Cabriolet?

4 way flashers I have heard of Hazards, Emergency lights

I honestly don't know what parking lights are, as my cars don't allow me to shut of my main beams, apparantly parking lights are ambers only

Reply to
Rob Guenther

From a point at sea, to the circles of your mind, this is Rob Guenther:

What's all this 'Estate' business? Shirley you mean 'Shooting Brake.'

[..]

Only on a Friday or Saturday night, when it is necessary to impress the neighbourhood with your fascinating personality by turning your fog lights on.

You often hear of people talking about 'driving lights,' but they are quite mistaken - there is no such thing in the UK. The law is quite specific about lights and the conditions under which they can be used. Basically, if they are not a headlight, then they are, by definition, a fog light. Fog lights may only be used under conditions of adverse visibility.

And on Friday and Saturday nights, obviously.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

Backup lights are mentioned regularly in SwedishBricks forums.

Parking lights can be pilot lights, parking lights or side lights, depending wether you drive a Rolls or a Ford! I had a lift in a Rolls once, and the driver asked me if I had been in one before. "Not in the front" I replied.

Cabriolet is the same here, commonly known as convertable or soft top.

Fog lights are just that, fog lights. Our driving lights are our headlights.

Hazards are hazards, commonly known as four ways.

Petrol is gas, and the sidewalk is the pavement.

Thank heavens for American films or it would be like learning a new language.

Bill

Reply to
Barney

Hi Stewart,

Can't you buy Lucas "Flamethrowers" in the UK any more? I had an old Jowet Bradford over there with wobbly headlights bolted to the fenders (mudguards.......) In frustration I finally ripped them off, filled the holes and mounted a Lucas fog light on the bumper curb-side. It produced a wide flat beam, fantastic in falling snow as well as fog. Later when I could afford it, I invested in a Lucas "Flame Thrower" and mounted it on the bumper, driver's side. That was a real DRIVING LIGHT! It produced a narrow long range beam. Finally I had a brainwave and fitted a switch to alternate between the two, a dimmer switch!! (dipper switch to you). I guess regulations have tightened up somewhat since then, even in the boonies ( country-side) where I was indulging in these activities.

Andy I. (Volvo 445 -not 544; 122S wagon; 121; 142; 145 wagon; 245 wagon; 245 "Classic" wagon.)

Reply to
brackenburn

Fog lights and driving lights are two separate things.

- alex

'85 244 Turbo '84 245 Turbo

Reply to
Alex Zepeda

Don't forget the Hooter (Horn).

JJ

Reply to
<jwjensen356

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Aux highbeams

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
Rob Guenther

- alex

'85 244 Turbo

Reply to
Alex Zepeda

Hi Alex,

Pull the other one...............It's got bells on it :-) .... or is that your tongue stuck in your cheek? I almost took your question seriously until I looked at the "Lighting" website you provided and found this:

"Auxiliary Lamp Harnesses and Relay Installation Kits RIK-AUX Relay kit for custom installation of two fog or DRIVING LAMPS, $40."

Otherwise I was going to refer you to my earlier post mentioning Lucas "Flamethrowers".............. but I see now that won't be necessary..........

Happy DRIVING! Andy I.

Reply to
brackenburn

Um, my TV and hair dryer use the same sort of electrical plug. Do you mean to tell me they're both the same thing? I'll have to try sticking my head into the TV next time...

It looks like Daniel has taken down his FAQ.. hmm.

Most of his usenet posts allude to the fact that driving and fog lamps are indeed different things. Here's a post that should clarify what I was trying to convey:

- alex

Reply to
Alex Zepeda

Sorry, Alex, I didn't make myself clear. Quoting the item from the website was intended to show that you know perfectly well what Driving Lights are, and the difference between Driving Lights and FOG lights.

My reference to the Lucas "Flamethrowers" in my first post, I should have thought, would have suggested that I too was aware of the difference.

(These NG discussions sure lack something in the ability to make clear the intended meaning, and lead to misunderstandings! I think we need an old fashioned chalkboard.............)

Happy DRIVING! Andy I.

brackenburn