Volvo Battery location?

We have a 2001 XV70 AWD and I'm embarrassed to admit I can't find the Battery? I'm also going to change the trans oil and did finally find the dip stick on the drivers side. At least I think that's what I found, it's yellow and buried under some hoses at the drivers side of the intake manifold.

Dale Peterson

Dale_Peterson wrote:

You better let someone else do it. (:>)

--
Note --- My real email is perkatwavecabledotcom

I suggest you purchase a Haynes or Chiltons service manual for your car. It will have a section on preventive and periodic maintenance items, including where everything is and how to interpret what you see.

Gary

--
Gary Heston snipped-for-privacy@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com /

Astronomers have developed a definition of "planet" which excludes Pluto.

Gary Heston wrote:

I have to agree with 'perk' here. If he (she?) can't find the battery, having a Haynes manual isn't going to be enough. (Having a Haynes manual often isn't enough anyway; want to know how to remove an instrument cluster? Haynes will probably cover that with "Remove instrument cluster".) A course in automotive maintainance at a local community college would be the place to start.

mA course in automotive

Not necessarily.

I am completely self-taught, and I never went to school for it.

I bought a How To Repair Your Own Car book, read it a few times, and hit the ground running.

Mr. V wrote:

This approach works fine if you don't mind making a few mistakes while learning. Replacing a battery used to be an easy job, but now it involves the risk of doing thousands of dollars worth of damage to the car if done wrong. Not to mention the slight but real risk of an exploding battery.

I want to thank Roadie for answering my question. I also want thank the other shade tree mechanics inspite of the evidence that they really didn't know the answer to my question.

Diddly

Dale_Peterson wrote:

I just went through the process on my wifes car. It really isn't a big deal if you've done any kind of repair work on a car. If you get the battery swapped in a reasonable amount of time the security code on the radio won't have to be reset either.

[ ... ]

Roadie answered one question for you, A service manual will answer a lot of questions for you, as well as providing a lot of reference data. If you plan to do much maintenance on your car, you will benefit by having one.

The Haynes and Chilton are widely available, although not the best. If you can find one by Bentley, that would be a better choice.

If I can't directly answer your question, I can at least point you towards the answer...

Gary

--
Gary Heston snipped-for-privacy@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com /

Astronomers have developed a definition of "planet" which excludes Pluto.

Dale_Peterson wrote:

The battery is under the floor in the extreme rear of the car.

--
Mike F.
Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.

You battery is located in the spare tire well in the back of your vehicle. Your owners manual is a good place to start looking for information on where components are located and which dipstick is located where. If you are missing you owners manual check here:

http://www.volvocars.us/tools/OwnersInfo /

They have many of the owners manuals online. Registration is free.

Good luck.

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 03:23:05 GMT, "Dale_Peterson"

Dale_Peterson wrote:

It's in the back - just open the floor covers nearest the rear hatch. Removal is a bit tricky because there is a sequence to removing and replacing the cables, there are battery holddowns to deal with and there is a very important vent hose that has to be connected properly. Also, if there is any corrosion or oxidation that will have to be cleaned up too.

Unless you are comfortable working with wrenches and screwdrivers and lifting a heavy battery from a cramped location I would let a shop do the work.

volvo moved the batteries to the rear for weight considerations...around 2000..

Perhaps because the temperature is lower there?

Mike

This group should be a good resource for you http://www.v70xc.com/ . This thread in the forums will help you with the tranny fluid change http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?tV68 . Hope this helps.

Shawn