Volvo Battery location?

Threaded View
We have a 2001 XV70 AWD and I'm embarrassed to admit I can't find the
Battery? I'm also going to change the trans oil and did finally find the dip
stick on the drivers side.  At least I think that's what I found,  it's
yellow and buried under some hoses at the drivers side of the intake
manifold.

Dale Peterson

Re: Volvo Battery location?
You better let someone else do it.  (:>)

--
Note --- My real email is perkatwavecabledotcom

Re: Volvo Battery location?

I suggest you purchase a Haynes or Chiltons service manual for your car. It
will have a section on preventive and periodic maintenance items, including
where everything is and how to interpret what you see.

Gary

--
Gary Heston   snipped-for-privacy@hiwaay.net   http://www.thebreastcancersite.com /

Astronomers have developed a definition of "planet" which excludes Pluto.
Re: Volvo Battery location?

    I have to agree with 'perk' here. If he (she?) can't find the
battery, having a Haynes manual isn't going to be enough. (Having
a Haynes manual often isn't enough anyway; want to know how to
remove an instrument cluster? Haynes will probably cover that
with "Remove instrument cluster".) A course in automotive
maintainance at a local community college would be the place to
start.

Re: Volvo Battery location?

mA course in automotive

Not necessarily.

I am completely self-taught, and I never went to school for it.

I bought a How To Repair Your Own Car book, read it a few times, and
hit the ground running.

Re: Volvo Battery location?

   This approach works fine if you don't mind making a few
mistakes while learning. Replacing a battery used to be an easy
job, but now it involves the risk of doing thousands of dollars
worth of damage to the car if done wrong. Not to mention the
slight but real risk of an exploding battery.

Re: Volvo Battery location?

I want to thank Roadie for answering my question.  I also want thank the
other shade tree mechanics inspite of the evidence that they really didn't
know the answer to my question.

Diddly

Re: Volvo Battery location?

I just went through the process on my wifes car.  It really isn't a big
deal if you've done any kind of repair work on a car.  If you get the
battery swapped in a reasonable amount of time the security code on the
radio won't have to be reset either.

Re: Volvo Battery location?

  [ ... ]

Roadie answered one question for you, A service manual will answer a lot
of questions for you, as well as providing a lot of reference data. If you
plan to do much maintenance on your car, you will benefit by having one.

The Haynes and Chilton are widely available, although not the best. If you
can find one by Bentley, that would be a better choice.

If I can't directly answer your question, I can at least point you towards
the answer...

Gary

--
Gary Heston   snipped-for-privacy@hiwaay.net   http://www.thebreastcancersite.com /

Astronomers have developed a definition of "planet" which excludes Pluto.
Re: Volvo Battery location?

The battery is under the floor in the extreme rear of the car.

--
Mike F.
Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.

Re: Volvo Battery location?
You battery is located in the spare tire well in the back of your
vehicle.  Your owners manual is a good place to start looking for
information on where components are located and which dipstick is
located where.  If you are missing you owners manual check here:

http://www.volvocars.us/tools/OwnersInfo /

They have many of the owners manuals online.  Registration is free.

Good luck.

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 03:23:05 GMT, "Dale_Peterson"

Re: Volvo Battery location?

It's in the back - just open the floor covers nearest the rear hatch.
Removal is a bit tricky because there is a sequence to removing and
replacing the cables, there are battery holddowns to deal with and
there is a very important vent hose that has to be connected properly.
Also, if there is any corrosion or oxidation that will have to be
cleaned up too.

Unless you are comfortable working with wrenches and screwdrivers and
lifting a heavy battery from a cramped location I would let a shop do
the work.

Re: Volvo Battery location?
volvo moved the batteries to the rear for weight
considerations...around 2000..

Re: Volvo Battery location?
Perhaps because the temperature is lower there?

Mike

Re: Volvo Battery location?

This group should be a good resource for you  http://www.v70xc.com/ .  This
thread in the forums will help you with the tranny fluid change
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5668 .  Hope this helps.

Shawn

Site Timeline