Volvo Battery location?

We have a 2001 XV70 AWD and I'm embarrassed to admit I can't find the Battery? I'm also going to change the trans oil and did finally find the dip stick on the drivers side. At least I think that's what I found, it's yellow and buried under some hoses at the drivers side of the intake manifold.

Dale Peterson

Reply to
Dale_Peterson

You better let someone else do it. (:>)

Reply to
Perk

I suggest you purchase a Haynes or Chiltons service manual for your car. It will have a section on preventive and periodic maintenance items, including where everything is and how to interpret what you see.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

I have to agree with 'perk' here. If he (she?) can't find the battery, having a Haynes manual isn't going to be enough. (Having a Haynes manual often isn't enough anyway; want to know how to remove an instrument cluster? Haynes will probably cover that with "Remove instrument cluster".) A course in automotive maintainance at a local community college would be the place to start.

Reply to
mj

mA course in automotive

Not necessarily.

I am completely self-taught, and I never went to school for it.

I bought a How To Repair Your Own Car book, read it a few times, and hit the ground running.

Reply to
Mr. V

This approach works fine if you don't mind making a few mistakes while learning. Replacing a battery used to be an easy job, but now it involves the risk of doing thousands of dollars worth of damage to the car if done wrong. Not to mention the slight but real risk of an exploding battery.

Reply to
mj

The battery is under the floor in the extreme rear of the car.

Reply to
Mike F

You battery is located in the spare tire well in the back of your vehicle. Your owners manual is a good place to start looking for information on where components are located and which dipstick is located where. If you are missing you owners manual check here:

They have many of the owners manuals online. Registration is free.

Good luck.

Reply to
exocetNO_SPAM7839

It's in the back - just open the floor covers nearest the rear hatch. Removal is a bit tricky because there is a sequence to removing and replacing the cables, there are battery holddowns to deal with and there is a very important vent hose that has to be connected properly. Also, if there is any corrosion or oxidation that will have to be cleaned up too.

Unless you are comfortable working with wrenches and screwdrivers and lifting a heavy battery from a cramped location I would let a shop do the work.

Reply to
Roadie

I want to thank Roadie for answering my question. I also want thank the other shade tree mechanics inspite of the evidence that they really didn't know the answer to my question.

Diddly

Reply to
Dale_Peterson

volvo moved the batteries to the rear for weight considerations...around 2000..

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

I just went through the process on my wifes car. It really isn't a big deal if you've done any kind of repair work on a car. If you get the battery swapped in a reasonable amount of time the security code on the radio won't have to be reset either.

Reply to
Roadie

This group should be a good resource for you

. This thread in the forums will help you with the tranny fluid change
. Hope this helps. Shawn

Reply to
Shawn
[ ... ]

Roadie answered one question for you, A service manual will answer a lot of questions for you, as well as providing a lot of reference data. If you plan to do much maintenance on your car, you will benefit by having one.

The Haynes and Chilton are widely available, although not the best. If you can find one by Bentley, that would be a better choice.

If I can't directly answer your question, I can at least point you towards the answer...

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Perhaps because the temperature is lower there?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee