1981 Diesel Rabbit - 12mm headbolt identification - can it be done by VIN number ?

I'll be looking at a 1981 diesel Rabbit with low mileage, mint, to replace my rusting 1984 winter beater version. I know the headbolts were changed during the 1981 model year to the 12mm version. Is there way to identify this by the VIN number (aka, did they do the change over after a particular VIN #) ? I don't expect the owner will let me pull the valve cover to check, and I don't know if I will be able to see it through the oil filler cap (but I'll try).

Viz

Reply to
Viz

I don't know...but I'd ask here...perhaps on the forum section...

Tony Bad

I think the better "stretch" bolts came with the 1600cc engine (52 HP). The original rabbit diesel was 1500cc and had 48 HP. What does Bently say

Joe R

Reply to
Joe R

All I could find in Bently was that there was gradual, mid-model year change in 1981 to the larger bolts. Nothing mentioned about a VIN # change, and nothing, that I could find, about the all 1600cc engines having the better bolts.

Viz

Reply to
Viz

If you can see the heads of the bolts through the oil filler hole, triple-square is 12mm, and the hex head would be the 11mm AFAIK. My '81 Caddy had the 12mm bolts, 1.6D engine.

Reply to
Roger Brown

triple-square is 12mm, and the hex head would be the 11mm AFAIK. My '81 Caddy had the 12mm bolts, 1.6D engine.

Reply to
skydivertu