ID engine by VIN number

Hi all,

I'm in a bind. I need to buy an engine (350 under 8500 lbs) for a '93 GMC 2500 van and I'm supposed to find out if I have a 2 or 4 bolt main. Trouble is, I don't have access to the van at the moment. Can anyone tell me if I can find this out by the VIN number, and if so, is such info. available online or would I need to approach a dealer for it? Or is there another way? Thank you very very much in advance.

-N. Sanders

Reply to
Strommer

I am sure

does what you want.

Reply to
René

PS: This is how carfax.com IDs my Chevy by VIN:

Year/Make/Model: 1986 CHEVROLET G20 SPORTVAN/VAN Body Style: INCOMPLETE CHASIS Engine: 5.0L V8 4BBL OHV Fuel: GASOLINE Driveline: REAR WHEEL DRIVE Manufactured in: UNITED STATES Safety Equipment: Active (manual) belts Standard Equipment: Power Windows Optional, Power Steering, Air Conditioning Optional, Power Brakes Optional, Tilt Wheel Optional

Reply to
René

'93 2500 van would have 2 bolt mains. If it was a 3500 or higher and a P/U you might find a 4 but even then it isn't likely.

Reply to
Steve W.

I don't think GM has put a 4 bolt main in anything other than a sports car in a very long time. besides, unless you're spinning the thing 5k rpm alot, you don't really need the 4 bolt.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

You can be sure it's a 2 bolt. If you want to know more about it, get the number off the block behind the left cylinder head. It's up on top near the seam of the bell housing. Look at this page if you're not sure where I'm talking about.

go to this page to get the numbers
's going to be an eight digit number starting with a 1.

Reply to
John Alt

1980 G30 Van, 350 V8, TH400. Has 4 bolt main.

Timo

Reply to
Timo Wildschut

25 years counts as a very long time in my bok.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

They also used to stamp the application (ie police car, truck, sedan...etc on the front of the motor, just in front of the right head (as sitting in the car). Dont know for sure if they still do that or not.

Mortec is a good site for all that information. There is another that is very good and it is a better site than Mortec for what you are looking for.

Eightupman