1999 VW Passat stalls after fueling?!?

I have a 99 Passat 2.8L. Every time I put fuel in it the car stalls and I have to hold down/pump the gas petal for it to start and continue to hold it for about a minute (otherwise it will stall). I tried leaving the car running as I fueled but it immediately stalls out as soon as the gas starts to flow in. I recently had the mass airflow sensor replaced at the dealership but that did nothing for the problem. The check engine light is on and there are several codes but I can't remember what they are off hand. None of the dealerships of mechanics that I have talked to have heard of or seen anything like this before. Can anyone help?!?

Reply to
GAnglen

First get the engine error codes. It is trying to tell you want is wrong, and you are coming to us to ask us when we don't have access to the car.

With out the help of the codes, I would guess it may be the fuel vent system. Are you in the habit of topping off the tank when you fill it up? If so you likely have damaged the vent system (VW warns you about this in the owner's manual and/or the gas cap/cover.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I might also add that you may need the fuel filter replaced. How long has it been since you replaced yours?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

And leaving the car on while refueling will cause a CEL anyway. you will probably have an error code relating to the leak detection pump as a result.

Reply to
Matt B.

wrong, and you are coming >to us to ask us when we don't have access to the

up? If so you likely >have damaged the vent system (VW warns you >about this in the owner's manual and/or the gas >cap/cover. The engine codes are as follows (P0118-input from the engine coolant temp. sensor is higher than expected, P0455-large leak in exists in the evaporative emission control system, P1136-fan control circuit malfunction, P1138-leak of H02S12 switch - sensor indicates rich, and P0441-purge flow in the evaporative emission control system is incorrect for the current engine operating conditions). There was also a mass air flow sensor code but we replaced that at the dealership. Their solution was to just fix all of the things that were wrong but we couldn't afford that; they said to start with that sensor as they felt that it was the most likely of them all to be causing the problem but it did nothing for it. I am not exactly sure what you mean by "topping of the tank." I fill it up until the pump clicks off and no more. I don't keep adding more and more until it can't take anymore (if that's what you mean). Lastly, I am not sure when the fuel filter was replaced, we recently acquired the car. It has about 91,000 miles on it so I guess a wouldn't hurt either way.

Reply to
GAnglen

[...]

Good, you are not topping it off, but maybe the prior owner did. It does seem you are having problems with the vapor control systems, but I would guess some of those codes could be a result of running the engine while filling it up. (Don't do this it is a fire hazard.)

I don't have the error code list from 1999 so I can't be sure, but I suspect you are going to find the answer to your problem in the vapor control system, but I might try replacing that fuel filter first.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

How in depth is the work that is needed on the vapor control system? I will try changing the fuel filter and see if there is any of the work on the vapor system that I can do. Also, I only left the car running once when I was filling it up to see if it made it shut down or not. Aside from that I turn off the engine but when I go to start it up the problem always reoccurs.

Reply to
GAnglen

Lucky for me I have never had to work on one.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You may have a purge valve sticking open? If so you may be pulling all the gas fumes into the engine before it's been run long enough to handle the hydrocarbons.

Reply to
Woodchuck

That was probably from running the engine while refueling. Don't turn on the ignition while refueling.

You have so many codes that you might want to just have them purged and then wait a while and just see what re-occurs.

Reply to
Matt B.

The first thing I would try is replacing the gas cap.

Reply to
westfaliaguy

Why? I'm buying stock in "gas caps"

Reply to
Woodchuck

Glad to hear that, especially considering that running a car while refueling is not only illegal, it's dangerous.

Reply to
Papa

Here is your problem. You got hosed with a used lemon. Time to pass it on...

Reply to
Peter Parker