VW Passat Electrics

Hi All

I have a 2000 VW Passat TDi PD (115bhp)

I wish to fit a tow bar which seems to involve removing the rear bumber and attaching to existing brackets in the chassis. The question is on the electrics.

The manual suggests there are lights in the speedo specifically for trailer indicators. Does this mean that there is cabling and possibly a plug for towbar electrics? If so where is it?

Also the car often stops the engine just after starting it and says the immobaliser is activated. I have read posts which say there can be problam with a sensor near the ignition switch and this needs to be replaced. Can I just buy another one from the dealer and replace it or is there more to it than that?

Thanks for any help in advance

Paul Edwards

Reply to
news.IC24.net

<jr>

Yes I am using the spare key which is better than the old key but still does not get recognised every so often.

Thanks for info on trailer I will look

Paul Edwards

Reply to
Paul Edwards

IIRC it's just the sensor coil & it has no intelligence so you just change it.

will sell you VW's workshop manual for the electrics

Reply to
Duncan Wood

In message , jr@?.?.invalid muttered:

That's what I got told when I fitted a towbar to our Passat. Also, there is no socket to plug into at the reverse of the car, you have to tap into all the wires (which is easy if not elegant). I fitted a Witter towbar, I can give you a good mail order supplier if you ask.

Reply to
andy

Try not to tap into the wires - if you can get to the rear of the lights there's usually spare connecting points (not sure if it's easy on the Passat). Scotch-lok connectors are way over-rated and give problems later in life.

Reply to
Dave Hall