2000 Jetta GL - Coolant Leak

Threaded View
Hello All,

As the subject line says, I have a 2000 Jetta GL - apparently with a
coolant leak.  It's not a bad one, I've had the coolant level low
alert come on twice and both times I put some purified water in (about
1 pint) and it didn't come back for about a month and a half.  The
problem, of coarse, is that is does come back.

What I'm looking for is an educated guess on what I can expect a
mechanic's bill to look like for finding and fixing something like
this.  Are we talking $200 or closer to $2000?  I don't have a garage,
let alone the tools or the knowledge to really deal with this myself.

Thanks in Advance for Your Input!

~Mister.Lull

Re: 2000 Jetta GL - Coolant Leak

Look for it while the engine is hot. If you don't see the leak, get
some proper antifreeze-- pre-mixed or mix your own. Top it up once
per month. Keep some in the trunk.

If you see the leak, then the fix would probably be much easier. If
it is a hose, then cheaper. If it is a radiator, then still I don't
think it should approach your pessimistic estimate.

Re: 2000 Jetta GL - Coolant Leak
get a pressure test done ASAP. most likely its the early sign of a head
gasket failure

Re: 2000 Jetta GL - Coolant Leak
Yikes...  a headgasket failure is very, very, very unlikely! I haven't
replaced one in several years and it was because the owner drove the car
"overheating" for many miles. Cause was a leaking waterpump.

Re: 2000 Jetta GL - Coolant Leak

finding the leak IS the guessy part of estimating repair costs
worst case  - cracked block
least  - loose hose clamp
and a range of faults in between
like tom said - top off coolant and investigate

Re: 2000 Jetta GL - Coolant Leak
Yikes, worst case  - cracked block you scarin' the owner to death!

Re: 2000 Jetta GL - Coolant Leak

snip

Could also be that expansion bottle cap!

Re: 2000 Jetta GL - Coolant Leak
you didn't say how many miles on the car, but most leaks have been coolant
hoses, waterpump, coolant outlets on the cylinder head. And even a radiator.
You may get a clue where the leak is by looking very closely for "pink"
colored stains which is signs of dried up coolant. Any dealer should give
you and estimate for around $50 +/- a few $$$.

Re: 2000 Jetta GL - Coolant Leak

Wow, okay...

Thanks All.

~Mister.Lull

Re: 2000 Jetta GL - Coolant Leak
well do you have a update for us??????????

Re: 2000 Jetta GL - Coolant Leak

Not at the moment, no.

~Mister.Lull

Re: 2000 Jetta GL - Coolant Leak
Mr. L,

I have a 2001 Jetta that was leaking coolant pretty badly (had to
check it every time I drove the car) and just found out the seal
connecting the reservoir to the radiator was broken.  It was $55 for
the pressurized check to see where the leak was coming from and an
additional $300 to fix it.  Seems like a lot for a small problem but I
had to do it.  Be sure you use a 50/50 mixture of G12 coolant & water.

~ Ms. K

Re: 2000 Jetta GL - Coolant Leak

Thank you, madame.

Site Timeline