96 Jetta GL Computer

Does anyone know the difference between the computer on a Automatic Vs the Manuel transmission?

1996 Jetta GL ( 2.0 ABA Engine )

( goal is converting a Automatic to a Manuel )

Thanks, Lee

Reply to
Lee
95 is not ODB2 and 96 on is... my car is ODB2 you computer does no help. thanks tho.

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

Well the 95 GL 2.0 ECM should be OBDI and the 96 GL 2.0 ECM should be OBDII. Those ECMs will be different.

AFAIK If you use the original 96 ECM and switch over to the manual transmission then probably a DTC will cause the Engine Check light to come on at the very least. I think that the TCM (transmission control module) is now part of the ECM. Not sure of this though. Somebody????

Might be easier to find an ECM for the 1996 2.0 with manual transmission and sell yours. Post the numbers off of yours.

later, dave (One out of many Daves)

Reply to
dave

Don't know, but I have one for a manual (95 GL 2.0) that I'll sell cheap if you want.

Reply to
Tony Bad

I've already bought the entire kit to change it over. from what I was told is you can flash the Computer. I guess it might be true. I dunno.. going to have to see when I get that far. I told only told to jump the Netural safty switch. any ideas?

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

I knew there was a change to OBD2...but didn't realize it was 96. Sorry...Good luck to you with your project.

Reply to
Tony Bad

Some of the earlier ECM could be recoded for auto or standard trans. The TCM only talks to the ECM.

Reply to
Woodchuck

thanks for the info! ;-) Did the TCM ever get incorporated into the ECM? Or has it also been a separate module? later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Not yet, but some are now located in the trans pan immersed in the fluid. Sounds like a great place for a computer, don't it?

Reply to
Woodchuck

yuck Inside of the transmission with the heat? yuck! lol

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

If I understand correctly on my 96 Automatic once I do the transfer to a Manuel I can had my emc flash for the Manuel?

-Lee

Reply to
Lee