88 Jetta: trying to localize suspension problem

Thanks in advance for reading -

I've searched through previous posts, but can't find similar symptoms. Just had new rear shocks, front struts,front strut bearings and springs put on my 88 Jetta. Now something don't seem quite right. The alignment seemed ok at first. So I drive a little then hit a large bump and the car starts pulling to the right. Then, I hit another bump and car starts pulling to left. Am I playing pinball or did the shop forget something?

More info - (this is secondary but might be related), I get the feeling the springs might not be seated properly. Sharp turns at slow speeds, like a Y-turn in the road, I can here clunk, clunk, clunk while turning. This isn't a CV boot clicking, its a more substantial, feel it in your bones kinda clunk. Driving normal speeds, bumps also seem to cause more noise than expected.

WTF? I'm a total knob when it comes to suspension knowledge. Can someone tell me what the local shop might have missed during the suspension installation? I won't even know what to ask them to check. Thanks for any words of wisdom.

- Dave ps - plese post a news reply - i don't really check my hotmail spam magnet.

Reply to
puzling

Did the shop have a wheel alignment done after all the work?

Sounds like your strut bearings are loose and not tightened properly.

Take it back to the shop and show them that the suspension job feels like it is falling apart. Don't use language like, wankers, buggers, poofdas, etc... :)

Reply to
Peter Parker

Thats what I would guess as well. There is a special nut on the front struts that requires a special tool to tighten/loosen (its got two notches in it that the tool rests in).. Alot of times, shops just smack a flathead in the notch adn try to tight it that way. However, that never works.

Reply to
Sinjin Smithe

I agree, my golf with manual steering was too tight when I first installed the strut mounts so I loosened them by unbolting the nut on top and tightened them until it was easier to turn. A while later there was a clunk much like you are describing, I think things may have seated by then. I tightened down the nuts again and the clunk went away and the tight steering didn't reappear . Pop your hood and get someone to turn the wheel, watch to see if you see space appear between the mount and the plate. If there is space I believe that the nuts might not be tight enough, you will need an air gun as a ratchet isn't fast enough to tight them down.

Reply to
Mustangbrad

Sounds like the place you took it for repairs really screwed things up. If it was done correctly it wouldn't pull left or right plus shouldn't make clunking noises. As too what's wrong I bet the bearing caps are installed incorrectly and not permitting the struts to rotate on the bearing.

Good luck!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Monsieur Parker -

Not quite - they said after driving it that it shouldnt need an alignment. I took their word and thats why I'm trying to gather info before bringing it back.

I will ask that question. Thanks.

Poofda sounds like a Pokemon character, so I'll try something more abrasive.

The good news is that the springs are super smooth. If I get this shock issue taken care of, I'll be burning up the highway in my sweet '88 Carat. She's not yet had a full life.

Thanks again- Dave

Reply to
puzling

I found the problem. Fazio's Automotive (Milwaukee, WI) incorrectly attached the strut mounts and missed the proper parts on the front strut assembly. As my new and much appreciated VW shop said, "this is just ass-backwards."

Bye all - Dave

Reply to
puzling