91 Jetta: starter woes?

I just replaced the transmission in this car and also put in a new starter. I replaced the old starter that was also new, as it would not turn over or even make a clicking noise. I now have the same problem again. Here's what I have: Good grounding, good battery, lot's of voltage at the battery wire to starter, and ignition switch voltage during "start".Now I also have this: voltage at the solenoid even without the ignition wire attached, a relay going nuts (making noise) on the fuse box and fuel pump running. I also have constant voltage from coil to distributor. I have tried using remote starter switch and a direct connection to the starter and not even a click from the solenoid! Is it the starter or is there something else that is causing these to go bad? I will pull the starter tomarrow and have it tested. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Rex Merriweather