'96 Cabrio 2.0 WON'T START.PLEASE HELP!

The problem car is a '96 Cabrio with 123K miles on the clock. I'm getting fuel at the engine.I pulled both fuel lines and they gush fuel when I turn the engine over.I'm also getting spark when I put the coil wire up against the engine while it's cranking.I tried disconecting the Oxygen sensor.No difference. When it was still running,the engine was putting out two codes that tell me there is a 'general missfire' and the #1 cyl. is missfiring. While the car is cranking,I can feel pulses of air coming out of the exhaust pipe,so

*I don't think* the CAT is plugged.I have noticed the rotten egg smell on ocassion which could mean the CAT is toast,or perhaps the engine is running too rich. (???????)

The car started jerrking,and hesitating while it was still running.If I floored the gas pedal,the engine would want to quit.If I kept the gas pedel depressed at a conservative level,the car would continue to run.I just made it into my driveway when it quit altogether. I recently replaced a bad knock sensor,(found via engine code) but the car has had hesitation/misfiring symptoms for quite some time...

Any advice would be very greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!

Reply to
Nevermind

Check the timing belt.

Reply to
Eduardo K.

I have seen a weak Ign. Coil (Ign. Transformer) spark but fail to fire the plugs under compression. New coil solved that problem, and I only like the coils from the dealer.

Also check the spark plugs first to see what their tips look like. Wet, black, oily, ???

Reply to
One out of many daves

Jack it up, disconnect your catalytic converter, then see if it will start and run. I think its broken, or "plugged" as you said. I think the engine can't exhaust. I have no explanation for the two engine codes that you see. Anyhow, what I just mentioned is a cheap diagnostic test and it will at least answer your question about the CAT.

Reply to
PabloRena ---> AnalProbe

I think that this might be a fuel management issue.The car has quit before in the recent past.What exactly controls the amount of fuel going to the injectors? I've never removed the fuel injectors before.Might that be a wise thing to do? Is there anything I can screw up by doing this? Thanks for the replies!!

Reply to
Nevermind