'97 Golf towing questions...

I recently purchased a 1997 VW Golf 2.0L with an autmatic tranny and would like to get a class I hitch installed to pull a small utility trailer. Does anyone out there have a manual for this model? The vehicle came with no owners manual, so I have no idea what tow ratings it has. I would really apreciate it if someone could look up this information for me. The last thing I want to do is burn out the transmission. Thanks,

Joe Hurley

Reply to
Joe Hurley

I believe they tow up to ~400-500kgs (around 1000 lbs)

I have seen an old A2 Golf towing a tent trailer on a highway before, from the sounds of it 3rd gear, flat out, was all it took to do it.... It sounded and looked scary, the rear end was sagging excessively, and the trailer was in worse condition then the rather hurting looking VW. (It made those stereotypically overweight, relatively poor looking families who drive Pontiac Parisianne wagons towing massive, but ancient double axel trailers seem almost like a step up.....)

...We were actually towing a trailer at the time, albeit in a much more suitable vehicle (Volvo 960 wagon, 3500lb braked tow capacity) I remember my dad getting around that..... monstrocity of human idiocy rather quickly

Reply to
Rob Guenther

JMHO I am not fond of the automatic transmissions!

I do know someone with a 95 Jetta 2.0 auto that had a hitch put on by U-Haul so she could move from Chicago, IL to Los Angeles, CA. She just left maybe last week and I have not heard from her...............yet. lol I hope she makes it, the engine was very strong and quiet and the transmission seemed to not have any problems.

BTW I was told that the loaded trailer really caused the Jetta rear end to almost bottom out. :-( I would not do it to my vehicle, unless it was designed to handle it! I also own Jeeps to do the heavy work.

dave
1000 lbs. is more than enough for me. The trailer I have can't weigh more than 150 lbs. (my father-in-law and I can carry it with little effort) . It was made to transport a single motorcycle, but all I will be using it for is infrequent trips to the hardware store and nursery. My pickup is off the road and for sale so I need a way to lug home things that won't fit in the back of the Golf with the seats down. Most loads would be well under 500 lbs.

Reply to
Joe Hurley

Reply to
Rob Guenther