98 Jetta TDI what type of oil should I use?

98 Jetta TDI what type of oil should I use? Can I use the 10W-30 I used in my 92 Jetta EcoDiesel?
Reply to
AlanH70

VW states synthetic.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

VW spec is 5w-40 full synthetic - we use Castrol Syntec 5w-40 at our dealership.

Reply to
DriversWantedTech

If you are a VW dealer tech then e-mail me.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Best to use a diesel rated oil for both of your diesel engines. A TSB in 1999 says to use synthetic 5W-40 oil in TDI engines. Check the desired diesel ratings in the owner's manual. If VW or ACEA ratings are listed, look for those exact ratings. If API ratings CD, CF-4, and/or CG-4 are listed, look for the more current API CH-4 or CI-4 (API CF can fulfill CD, but not CF-4 or CG-4).

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

Yes - I'm a tech at a VW dealership - if you want to email me, my address is driverswanted77 at yah-whoo dot com.

Reply to
DriversWantedTech