A3 Golf Oil Filter Removal Tool

I think I pulled a back muscle removing the oil filter on my 96 Golf

2.0L this weekend. Since this is obviously a design issue that has nothing to do with my age, I was wondering if there are any good filter removal tools out there. The strap wrench style tool does not fit up in there.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I've seen 2 common spin-on oil filter diameter sizes that a adapter for removing the oil filter via the end of the oil filter. The adapter I've used in the past fits a 3/8" ratchet. Found this difficult to use on my 88 Fox requiring a specific size extension. After that used a few times, I went to using a pair of cowhide work gloves. Much easier to work with that way.

Reply to
Dioclese

I have the same car so I understand the problem. The first time I encountered this problem I bought a very large vice grip pliers at Home Depot. It has concave blades and is large enough to grip (and partially destroy) the filter. There is enough maneuvering room to loosen and then hand remove the filter. When I install a filter myself and do not over-tighten (after making light, snug contact apply another 1/2 turn) I do not have trouble removing the filter by hand while wearing leather gloves.

Reply to
Bear Trap

There's a ton of diff models.

Basically it's a cup that fits on the bottom of the oil filet. Use a extention and a racket and it comes right off.

Reply to
SnoBrdr

I use something like this so that my ratchet connection is off center allowing the use of 3/8" extensions.

But use whatever works from a large Channel Lock Pliers to large anti-slip mats for a good grip so you can use your hands.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I always used a strap wrench with a pivot in the handle. Not this one necessarily (may be wrong size), but something like it. Try to find one with a couple 'teeth' in the band. Even oily filters some off then. Doesn't need much!

Mark