Oil filter removal tip

I know that none of the mechanically astute individuals who make up this list have ever had an oil filter wrench "round off" the oil filter and make the filter essentually unremovable. When this happens on an M1 with limited access to the filter, you indeed have a problem.

After comtemplating the amount of work involved with pulling the engine, I throughly cleaned the filter and the inside surface of the wrench. I then mixed some JB weld which I applied liberally to the inside of the wrench. I put the wrench back on the filter and found something else to do for six hours or so.

It worked like a champ and the offending filter was quickly removed. If you wish, the wrench can be retrieved by the use of of a heat gun.

As always, YMMV

Roland

Reply to
roland lee smith

Very clever. So far this has never been a problem for me because I never put on the filter that tight. I just need to clean the filter and then I can turn it by hand.

------------ Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

Happened to me once on OTM. Hammered a screwdriver into it and used that as leverage. Messy. VERY messy....

Reply to
Charlie Brandt

I bought this oil filter wrench a couple of years ago and it has made the oil changes a lot easier, mainly by making it easier to reach and secure the filter when first breaking it loose. It will also break loose a filter that has been rounded off, you just have to squeeze it hard enough to get the teeth to bite into the filter.

Pat '96M

Reply to
pws

i wrap a stip of sandpaper around the filter, grit side against the filter obviously, and use my hand. works like a champ.

$0.02,

dookie

Reply to
dookie

Reply to
Chuck

My neighbour lent me a strap wrench the first time I changed the oil. I'd spent about 45 mins trying to remove the filter with a normal filter wrench and by hand. It was a little fiddly to get the thing on (due to the lack of space), but the filter came off almost straight away.

Although you can probably buy them fairly cheaply (I've never seen one in a shop), this one was just a short length of seat belt bolted to a short pipe. A hole in the pipe was left to put a screwdriver or similar for leverage.

Reply to
Andre Queree (Mr Q)