Oil filter removal tool

Time to change the oil on the Focus and I don't have a filter removal tool anymore. My old one was a nylon strap type affair and served me very well for many years. Sometimes I'd encounter a filter that was on so tight I didn't want to lean on the strap any harder and I'd resort to a screwdriver banged through the filter. Then I got an apprentice with the mechanical aptitude of a gorilla and he snapped the nylon first time he used it.

So I'm looking on Ebay. Choice is between 3 legged metal pullers, metal band strap, nylon strap, bicycle chain strap or individual multi point socket type affairs that each only do one size of filter.

Too many options. My head is hurting. Suggestions?

Reply to
Dave Baker

I tend to buy the multi point socket tools - you may need several of them, but they're generally cheap enough and are much better to use than straps or chains.

Reply to
SteveH

I've never failed to remove one with a strap-type tool.

As an aside, if you use genuine filters (and I would), note that only the shorter filter as originally used exclusively on the 1.4 engine is supplied now for all petrol variants.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I have found that the best universal type is the large dedicated plier type. Screwfix sell them: item 34733

other places probably also do them, maybe cheaper. They are also useful on other jobs, they will do 99 percent of screw on filters and all the other types are redundant (except for the 1 percent !!)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I got a 3-legged turny thing a couple of years ago, and it makes the job really very easy. Love it. Apart from the oil pouring all over the place :-)

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

I've got a bicycle chain type. Not managed to break that - but I've actually had it puncture the canister on a well stuck one. But it usually doesn't grip immediately which can be a problem if space is restricted. First choice these days is a rubber strap type. They're cheap enough to not worry if they break. Keep an eye on Lidl and Aldi for special offers and stock up.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's really the point. If you don't mind mess just bash an old screwdriver through it.

Remember one make had a nut welded to the bottom.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I found that the handle assembly of the rubber strap type is too large for many applications, this coupled with the 'wind up' before they really grip makes them a nuisance. Plier type are the best. Next would be a set of cup type ones.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

some still do, vw polo for instance

Reply to
Mrcheerful

99%? Really? A while since I changed one myself, but there is only room for a strap on a socket on some of my vehicles.
Reply to
newshound

I've got three sizes here.

Yes.

On my old Rover space is very restricted. Made worse by the factory fit oil cooler which has an adaptor between the filter and housing which restricts clearance even more by moving the filter more underneath the rad. But I can generally slacken it by hand.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is there a filter manufacturer that does this to all? There is an access hole in my undertray that would allow a socket to fit that easily - but isn't big enough for the gripper type.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Some can be very awkward indeed. In much the same way as needing half the car stripped down to replace a bulb.

My BMW is brilliant - a replaceable filter element on the top of the engine. But a PITA to get to the drain plug. ;-(

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

99 percent of the cars that I work on, because the jaws go either side it is rare that you cannot get a grip on the filter at some point, even a petrol honda crv filter can be got, and they are seriously buried.
Reply to
Mrcheerful

I don't know about all, but Mann filters tend to have them when others don't. In your case a cup type remover should do as they are only a few mm larger than the filter.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Last one I did was on me old Fiesta, and there was no room for anything that needed anything sticking out sideways without crashing the handle through the radiator :-) . The three-legged thing was perfect since there is so little working space, and being able to stick a few socket extensions on it meant that I could get it off just kneeling at the front of the car. Quite lazy, really.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

I guess you have the knack! My mechanic seems to find a lot of things easier than I do. But he did show me the secret of adjusting the belts on a fourtrak, which was to have ratchet ring spanners with a pivoting head. I have them now too!

Reply to
newshound

+1.
Reply to
Chris Bartram

Stupidly, the access hole is smaller than the filter. So may be more of just a drain. About 2" in diameter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Get a Dremel or pad saw on it.

Reply to