Help, cant get into trunk

My trunk lock is broken. I can put the key in and turn it to the lock and unlock position but when i push it in it does nothing. I have a

1982 Jetta Diesel and could use anybodys adivse.

Thanks Travis

Reply to
mustang67

Maybe ? everything is fine and working but the trunk lid is frozen closed? if it's possible it is frozen don't just pull it open you may damage the lid gasket.

Reply to
samstone

The lock mechanism on my 86 got pushed down a bit and to open it I had to go in through the backseat and take off the cover where the mechanism was. There should be a piece of thick wire that if you pull down on will open the trunk. Either way just get a flashlight and get in there and figure it out, it's a fairly simple mechanism.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Reply to
DruG

I was about to recommend that also but I don't think the '82 Jetta has that ski access hole like the '86 Jetta might have. :-(

I am thinking that you might have to be creative and carefully break up the lock to release the latch. I had to do that with my '83 Audi 4000S that might have a similar setup IIRC. It is best to examine the mechanism on a similar Jetta that does open up. Then you can visualize how to approach your problem. Right now I can not visualize the '82 Jetta trunk lock or latch setup. The lock mechanism on my 86 got pushed down a bit and to open it I had to

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1