Key broke off in trunk

I just had the key break off in the trunk lock of my 1989 Corolla. The same key is used for the ignition,doors, and trunk so I am hoping I can have the broken piece removed from the lock. The lock appears to be fairly easy to remove. If I removed it, can I take it somewhere and have the broken key piece removed? or do I have to spring for a whole new lock?

Doug and Patty

Reply to
MRTYMCFLY

Just drive to a locksmith, and he/she will have the broken part out in a few minutes.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence_Glickman

Go to a locksmith. Odds are he can get it out with picks, and it won't cost you a whole lot.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I've broken a key off in a car too and they are all but impossible to get out unless you have the proper tools. Just take the car to a locksmith.

Reply to
John S.

sounds like someone forgot to keep their locks lubricated!trunk usually suffers the worse from this neglect.oops!broke the key from forcing it!

Reply to
oldkid

Your comment made me wonder about the last time I'd used a key to open a trunk or door lock. Since 1996 my cars have all had automatic door and trunk locks. I can't think of the last time I used the key!

Reply to
John S.

locksmith------your best and really only choice.

Reply to