Secondary injection error

I have a '97 Jetta GLX with the VR6 engine. My check engine light came on and I took it to my mechanic and he said it was a secondary injection error. He checked the fan, changed the relay and found that the fan wasn't getting a signal from the computer to turn the fan on, so he put in a used computer. It cleared the code. I picked it up and after about 15 minutes of running the check engine light came on again after the engine was warm, I have spent ~700 bucks on this already. Any suggestions what it might be.

Reply to
stlcardinals67

Indication to possibly get your money back if it is throwing the same code? Post all of the codes here.

Are you referring to the Secondary Air Pump? could be: fuse relay wiring pump or ???

JMHO dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
one out of many daves

Perhaps a mechanic who doesn't know what he is doing?

Reply to
PeterD

did you get your money back since he didn't fix the issue. That's what would be expected if taken to the dealer!

let's start over again...

can you hear the fan(secondary air pump) run on cold startup? Should sound like a vacuum cleaner running for about 1 minute.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

I have a 95 GTI (with VR6). At some point I hadn't even noticed that he secondary air pump was not operating (I didn't notice the lack of sound of it coming on during a cold start). The pump was not operating because it's fuse was blown (I don't remember where it is, but it's a non-standard "fuse", just a piece of metal). Looks like the old one was corroded like it's exposed.

Frank

Lost > did you get your money back since he didn't fix the issue. That's what would

Reply to
Frank

from memory, I think it mounted on the firewall under a plastic cover. I think it's the same as the diesel glow plug fuse.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck