vr6 oil filter

I was at Walmart looking for a Fram oil filter. The store catalog had no listing for a 2003 vr6. Can anyone post the model number? The Fram's have a few different models, too. Any recommendations appreciated.

Sam

Reply to
sheinrich

Hmmm Since your engine should still be under warranty, and it sounds like you are trying to save some $$$ by doing it yourself, why not purchase the oil filters from the dealer? I think that they cost around $12, but should insure that your engine's warranty remains intact. Or you could purchase them online at several parts stores if you are interested in that.

just a thought! later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

I got an enormous discount on this 2003, but that dealership is an hour drive away. I have a Pep-Boys located 2 miles away, the Walmart is 3 miles. So please, walk a mile in my shoes! lol. I'll check on a closer VW dealer for the factory part. I've used Fram filters for many years on the '89 Wolfsburg that I traded and I feel pretty comfortable using aftermarket filters.

Purchase online sounds ok. Can you suggest some www links?

To whoever did it: Thanks for reposting all these older oil filter posts.

Sam

Reply to
sheinrich

Tom's VR6

if its a VR6 then it dosnt matter what brand you use ,its a cartridge type filter so you still have the factory spin on canister,but the element is the filter inside the canister,so you wont have a problem.anyway w/my wifes previous passat i used a purolator element,never did find a fram.also make sure you change the two o-rings everytime,the large one on the canister and the small one on the drain nut.by the way im glad my wifes newer passat V6 dosnt have a cartridge type anymore..what a pain in the ass that deal was to do each time.anyway good luck

Reply to
RLGIRSCH

Well on the VR6 engines.... I have seen one OEM oil cartridge (Hengst?) come apart. I have also seen one oil cartridge that was not the correct one installed. IIRC one of it's holes was too large and not sealing well.

I usually use Hengst (sp) or Mann. Although I think Bosch sells some too, but they may be Purolators. Can't go legally wrong buying them from the dealer (2 or 3 at a time) to keep that warranty valid!!!

JMHO dave

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

if the manufacturer requires that their branded filter be used to maintain the warranty, then they must provide that filter at no charge...in usa, robinson-patman act....it's the law.

regards

Reply to
euro930

Yeah but what happens to the warranty if your non-branded filter explodes or disintegrates? Sorry Charlie! 8^) AFAIK If something happens to the dealer filter you still would retain the warranty!

dave