VW cabrio 2000 - changing clutch and transmission

hello everyone

could use some advice on this one... I have a VW cabrio 2000, manual, with 37000 miles in great condition, ...except that apparently clutch and transmission need to be changed... here are my questions for your kind advice!

#1 car is worth 10k on KBB..is it worth to repair it? (car not any more underwarranty0 #2 got quoted roughly 3500$ to fix it, is it reasonnable or oveerpriced (VW dealer San Francisco and sunnyvale) #3 any recommendations in the bay area #4 any thoughts, things i forgot to ask? ;-)

cheers and many thanks in advance L

Reply to
laure.andrieux

none2u

Hello

thanks for your answer so from the VW mechanics that looked at it (for $160 consultation fee): transmission makes noise in reverse, 2th,3th,4th and clutch is starting to shift. The reason why i brought it to the dealer for an advice in the first place is because i started to hear a ticking noise in reverse and then in forward gears ...

...I don't think am a crazy driver, had no pb with other cars i drove... =) ... bought the car 2nd hand with 17,000 miles .

so ...what you are saying is that maybe the clutch does not need replacement? is there any way i can check on this myself (what should i look for when i test drive the car?)

cheers L

n> You say the transmission and clutch is bad with 37000 miles on it. I,d be

Reply to
laure.andrieux

No , I was thinking the clutch was bad, and the transmission wasn't. With the additional info you've given I cant go any further without hearing your ticking noise. You clearly hear it. The mechanics said the trans is bad and the clutch slips. I.d be wanting to decide if the clicking was important enough to worry about or not. And if it wouldn't get any worse for say

Reply to
none2u