why won't my diesel start???

Hello, All!

My 81 rabbit diesel won't start and this has me perplexed. It was running beautiful when I parked it. Then, I didn't use it for a week. Now, it turns over but won't start. The glow plug light is working, I assume they are as well. The battery is fully charged. Fuel full. What could I be missing? This vehicle has been reliable for decades. What should I look at?

Thanks!

Reply to
dukecola

I got a diesel for free because the previous owner couldn't get it started. I went through a number of things, including the injectors and glow plug, before I got it working. While I think it was at least partly bad injectors (they looked like shit), after it was running again I took it to a friends house, but when I went to leave it wouldn't start. Fiddling with the fuel shut off solenoid (on the injector pump) finally got me running again. I think the connection might just have been really dirty.

To check it, have someone stand with their ear close to the injector pump, and turn the key to 'On.' Not start, thats mean. You should hear a distinct 'click' from the injector as the solenoid (dis)engages. If not, unbolt the terminal and clean it up. Leave the key at 'On' and carefully touch the lead to the terminal. Carefully, because touching anything else might blow a fuse, or worse. Should spark *and* go 'click.'

Reply to
Johann Koenig

Thanks,

I just did that test and the soloniod is clicking, any other ideas?

Duke??>>

Duke??>> Hello, All! ??>>

??>> My 81 rabbit diesel won't start and this has me perplexed. It was ??>> running beautiful when I parked it. Then, I didn't use it for a week. ??>> Now, it ??>> turns over but won't start. The glow plug light is working, I assume ??>> they are as well. The battery is fully charged. Fuel full. What ??>> could I be missing? This vehicle has been reliable for decades. What ??>> should I look at?

JK> I got a diesel for free because the previous owner couldn't get it JK> started. I went through a number of things, including the injectors and JK> glow plug, before I got it working. While I think it was at least JK> partly bad injectors (they looked like shit), after it was running JK> again I took it to a friends house, but when I went to leave it JK> wouldn't start. Fiddling with the fuel shut off solenoid (on the JK> injector pump) finally got me running again. I think the connection JK> might just have been really dirty.

With best regards, dukecola. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net

Reply to
dukecola

Check the large glow plug fuse on firewall and/or if you are getting power to glow plugs.

To find fuse, just follow large gauge wires from glow plugs to firewall.

I believe the glow plug light will still work even if this fuse is toast. Another possibility is the glow plug relay crapped out.

You really need to see if you are getting power to glow plugs...then you'll know if you are chasing a fuel or electrical issue.

Reply to
Tony Bad

Hello, Tony!

Thanks, I'll check the glow plug fuse and relay tomorrow.

Duke

TB> To find fuse, just follow large gauge wires from glow plugs to TB> firewall.

TB> I believe the glow plug light will still work even if this fuse is TB> toast. Another possibility is the glow plug relay crapped out.

TB> You really need to see if you are getting power to glow plugs...then TB> you'll know if you are chasing a fuel or electrical issue. TB> -- TB> Tony Bad

TB> 02 Jetta Wagon TB> 01 Eurovan MV TB> 91 Jetta 1.6 Diesel TB> 86 Jetta TB> 79 Rabbit 1.5 Diesel (semi-retired for now) TB> Schwinn Continental 10 Speed TB> Radio Flyer Pedal Car (my daughter made me add this)

??>> I just did that test and the soloniod is clicking, any other ideas? ??>>

Duke??>>>> Hello, All! ??>>>>

??>>>> My 81 rabbit diesel won't start and this has me perplexed. It was ??>>>> running beautiful when I parked it. Then, I didn't use it for a ??>>>> week. Now, it turns over but won't start. The glow plug light is ??>>>> working, I assume they are as well. The battery is fully charged. ??>>>> Fuel full. What could I be missing? This vehicle has been reliable ??>>>> for decades. What should I look at? ??>>

JK>>> I got a diesel for free because the previous owner couldn't get it JK>>> started. I went through a number of things, including the injectors JK>>> and glow plug, before I got it working. While I think it was at least JK>>> partly bad injectors (they looked like shit), after it was running JK>>> again I took it to a friends house, but when I went to leave it JK>>> wouldn't start. Fiddling with the fuel shut off solenoid (on the JK>>> injector pump) finally got me running again. I think the connection JK>>> might just have been really dirty. ??>>

??>> With best regards, dukecola. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net ??>>

With best regards, dukecola. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net

Reply to
dukecola

Since it's so old the seal on the pump maybe bad and the pum lost it's prime. Loosen a union at a injector and have someone crank it while you look for fuel. Years ago I had a 85 golf given to me for that very reason. A good fix is to get a generic electric fuel pump and mount it going into the filter (remove hose from tank to the filter and insert the pump. Run another piece of diesel fuel resistant hose to the filter. Then hook the + lead of the pump to the stop solenoid. Ground the other one. It will take about ten mineuts of the pump pumping to get the injector pump primed. Then try starting it. You'll be supprised how good it will run with the proper fuel pressure inside the injector pump! There are other ways to prime the pump but this eliminates the problem.

Reply to
Jo Bo

If that works and it still doesn't start, those years were notorious for having the secondary fuel "booster" pump in the tank fail.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

The glow plug LED is completely independent of the rest of the circuit:

Make sure you are getting power to the plugs, if so, then make sure the plugs are actually operating.

Reply to
Roger Brown

I was hoping that the REAL expert on VW's Diesel would provide some help. Roger's web pages have helped me on many an occasion! Thanks for being there.

Reply to
Tony Bad

Joe: AFIK It's not in the tank, it's part of the injection pump. I've had the tank pickup out and it's just a nylon sock feeder and return hose.

Duke: I've had the same problem and it was the large 40A stamped metal glow plug fuse that Tony mentioned. Mine had developed a hairline crack through it over time.

It's easy enough to verify that the bus that feeds the glow plugs is indeed getting power. If it's not the fuse, then it's almost certainly the relay itself.

Good luck,

-Arthur

Joseph Oberlander wrote:

Reply to
Arthur Russell

I have never seen one in there! At least in the USA cars. Care to explain?

Reply to
Woodchuck

Hmm ... I don't think diesels have in-tank fuel pumps. Otherwise, it wouldn't be such a huge PITA to re-prime the injector pump after running the tank empty. I'm pretty sure the only pump in the system is the injection pump.

Reply to
Johann Koenig

Ah. I do know that this is a common problem with gas engine models of that year, though.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Well, I verified it's the relay, no power from there to the fuse or the plugs. Only problem now is I just got back from VW dealer and they have no record in their computer for the replacement relay. I guess they now only keep from 1984 and up. Mine's a 81. Can anyone who has replaced theirs recently can give me a current VW part #? The part # on the bad relay is:

321 911 261 SRJ. Thanks,

Bob

AR> Duke: AR> I've had the same problem and it was the large 40A stamped metal glow AR> plug fuse that Tony mentioned. Mine had developed a hairline crack AR> through it over time.

AR> It's easy enough to verify that the bus that feeds the glow plugs is AR> indeed getting power. If it's not the fuse, then it's almost certainly AR> the relay itself.

AR> Good luck, AR> -Arthur

With best regards, dukecola. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net

Reply to
dukecola

Contact these guys...

They will help you decide what you need, and most likely have it to ship out today or tomorrow.

If you have a diesel, this is a great place to deal with.

Reply to
Tony Bad

My copy of an unnamed software package beginning with "E" (couple years old) lists a 443 911 261 "glow plug control module" for an '81 US-built Wabbit.

HTH

nate

dukecola wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Reply to
Randolph

Did you check the wiring to the coolant temperature switch/sensor that tells the relay that the coolant is cold enough and glow plugs are needed? I have seen the connectors fall off this coolant switch and the relay never supplies power to the glow plugs. I have never seen the coolant switch fail, have only seen one bad relay, and have seen that connection fall off many times off of the few diesels that I have worked on.

So you supplied power to the glow plugs and the engine started right up.................right?

just a suggestion! later, dave

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

My rabbit did the same. The glow plug fuse went, which is located on the fire wall (ususally) where one big wire goes to a box and then continues. Pop the lid off and put your new fuse in. The fuse is just a flat piece of tin. My parts dealer gave them to me. Good luck. If this isn't the problem let me know. Paul

Reply to
popyseed