1996 Z-71 Electrical Glitches

Noticed 1st one a few weeks ago. I went to crank the truck an nothing happened. Tried immediately again and it started, but clock reset tp

12:00 . I reset clock. tried to tighted all battery cables but they were tight. I undid them and cleaned them but they were not dirty. Same problem accured when I was warming up truck in cold 20 degree weather to defrost. No problem occured until I tried to put it in reverse. I turned on headlights and it died. It immediately restarted and I went on my way. 3RD problem in shopping center parking lot. Drove there with no problems and went inside to shop. Came out and turned key and nothing happened. Do dash lights, headlights were not left on. I turned on and off every electrical switch I could find. Tried to re crank and it fired right up. Alternator guage has never fluctuated below 13 since I have owned the truck new. It`s got 158,400 on it and I service it every 3000 miles. This electrical glitch is giving me fits. Any offers of help or related stories / fixes except buying a new one ?
Reply to
Uncle Hazel

[...]

Look for bad grounds. They're hard to spot sometimes!

My truck was 'freaking out' on me one time - ended up being a loose bolt under the dash (with a ground strap under it).

If you've got a digital meter, look for a voltage drop from the center of your negative battery terminal to various points (body itself, frame, block, etc etc). This might help to narrow it down at least.

Reply to
John Craker

Sounds to me like you are grounding out somewhere. I have a 91 K1500. Occasionally it would die when I was using the power window. Turns out my window mechanism had rubbed insulation off the power wire to the motor. Occasionally the metal from the mechanism would touch the wire and kill everything.

Just trying to relate...

Reply to
Dirty White Boy

Go under the hood and make sure all you main fuses are nice and snug. Take a good visual on all wires, make sure nothing is skinned where they disappear into the truck.

Reply to
snay