2000 silverado window regulator

The cable broke on the drivers side window. Can someone direct me to step-by-step procedure for the repair. Are the cheap ($40) regulators a waste? Can I just replace the cable?
Suggestions, help or directions are appreciated. Ken
go out and by a Haynes or Chiltons manual. They have step by step instrructions. I put in a cheap regulator a month ago. It was real easy and have had no problems so far.