2004 Silverado

My dad is out of town and his truck will not start. The dash has an idiot light on which shows a lock. The lights will come on, but the truck will not even turn over. Any ideas?

Reply to
jdhoward

Little boys shouldn't be driving daddy's truck when he's not home.

jdhoward wrote:

Reply to
KENG

Greetings,

Refer to page 2-18 of the owner's manual. It discusses Theft-Deterrent Systems on this truck (I also have a 2004). It appears that the content theft deterrent system does not disable the ignition, but Passlock will by shutting off fuel. There is nothing in the manual that states specifically that the anti-theft system will not allow the truck's motor to at least turn over even if it senses something is amiss, just that it won't get any fuel if the Passlock system senses you are using an invalid key. If the motor won't even turn over, then either your dad has another security system installed that is not mentioned in the owner's manual, or you are missing something (like the clutch pedal not being fully depressed or the gearshift not being in Park).

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

My 75 year old father appreciates his 'old enough to know better' son trying to help him out from 120 miles away. I do appreciate your humor though. Thanks,

Reply to
jdhoward

Thanks for the info. He is using the original key and he only has the factory alarm system. I will have him double check the gearshift. Thanks, again.

Reply to
jdhoward

The manual does not make mention of disarming the factory alarm system (although something tells me this is not an issue with the factory alarm), just the steps you must take in order to prevent the alarm system from sounding - this is essentially just making sure you unlock the vehicle with an originalkey or use the factory supplied key fob for the remote power locks.

The other option is to disable the Passlock system by pulling the fuse. However, there is a remote possibility that this is a computer issue so you can try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to let the computer reset and then try again. After that, I'm stumped.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan