87 C-10 Won't idle need help

I have a 1987 Chevy C-10 with a Throttle body injected 350. I did a complete tune up but it still doesn't want to idle. It stalls and seems to idle real slow. I don't know if there is a way to adjust the idle speed on the TBI models. Also there is a rapping sound that only happens when fully warm and at idle speed. At highway speeds and when engine is cold there is no rapping. Any ideas? The sound seems to come from the right side of the engine. Could it be the air pump? You can also hear the rapping comming through the exhaust, again only when fully warm and at idle speed.

Reply to
Current User

Excessive drag on the serpentine system can cause the motor to idle poorly and stall out (such as a FUBAR smog pump). So, remove the belt, fire her up (letting her run for no more than a minute) and see if the problem persists.

This could also be an EGR valve stuck wide open and the "rapping" you're hearing is actually spark knock. The EGR introduces hot exhaust gasses into the intake mixture to lean it out and reduce combustion temps, thereby lowering NOx emissions. If this gets stuck open, you'll be running lean when the engine is warm and the computer has leaned out the mixture; not as obvious when cold as the computer is running a richer mixture.

HTH,

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"