'98 Burb, 120k: What's Next?

Thinking about going for 250k. *Thinking*.... not 100% sure yet...

Been thru:

----------

- Valve body: re-sleeved @75k)

- Crank sensor @75k

- Water pump: pre-emptive replacement @77k

- Intake manifold @77k

- Wiper board: complete replacement @89k

- Serpentine belt: pre-emptive replacement @98k

- Several alternators: last one @98k. Next one @150?

Been running Mobil-1 most of the time.

Can anybody suggest what's between me and 250k?

The 4L60?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

"user" wrote: > Thinking about going for 250k. *Thinking*.... not 100% sure > yet... > > Been thru: > ---------- > - Valve body: re-sleeved @75k) > - Crank sensor @75k > - Water pump: pre-emptive replacement @77k > - Intake manifold @77k > - Wiper board: complete replacement @89k > - Serpentine belt: pre-emptive replacement @98k > - Several alternators: last one @98k. Next one @150? > > > Been running Mobil-1 most of the time. > > Can anybody suggest what's between me and 250k? > > The 4L60? > -- > PeteCresswell

I have a 89 4x4 burg that I bought new that has 172k on it. It still has original altenator that I replaced rear bearing in 40 k ago and had a water pump change at 120k due to a slow leak. It has had 3 or 4 serpentine belts in its life and regular tranny filter and fluid changes every 25k or so. It has also had a aux tranny cooler since day one. It is our family travel vehical these days and is in mint shape and it has had more than a dozen cross country trips on it to date and has been to Tenn and back and to South Carolina and back (from Ohio) in April of this year but see no daily use otherwise. It will be making one or two more trips to SC in June and I have no plans for retiring it for some time yet. (I rarely drive it in winter so rust is not a issue with it either)

Things to check a service for high milage

Rear axle oil every 30K or less Front axle oil (if 4x4) every other rear change Transfer case oil (if 4x4) every 30k Tranny fluid and filter 30k or less Coolant, run 60 to 70% antifreeze to minimize corrosion Lube chassis every oil change. If 4x4 inspect front axle shaft boots every oil change.

I have also used Mobile 1 in mine since new (10w30) and I used to drive it a lot (on cross country trips)I would change filter at 3k or so and top off oil and then change everything between 5 and 6 k. In lighter use I change it all at around 4k. Engine still runs like new and I got well over 17 mpg on last trip (565 miles on one 40 gal tank with gas to spare). I have had no problems otherwise and tranny still works like new and it still has R12 in A/C as well. One thing that I have done too that some frown on is that I have been running a 7 to 9 PSI radiator cap since new too to reduce strain on hoses and cores for possible leaks. I have had no heating problem ever and it has been through the plains when it was 105F in summer and the northen rockies when it was 40 below in winter and it has even been up Pikes Peak 3 time too. I do run 70% anitfreeze in it though and core is still clean as new looking into tank. It has been a very dependable vehcial that has never left us stranded any place in any weather. Two cents woth anyway.

Reply to
SnoMan