Auxillary Light Illumination When High Beams Engaged

Sorry if this is a repost...

I have a set of PIAA auxiliary lamps mounted to my Ranch Hand Bull Nose front bumper replacement. I'd like for them to illuminate when my high beams are engaged but I can't for the life of me figure out how to make it work. I either don't know what i'm doing with the relay switch i bought or i am not using the correct wire (trigger wire) or any number of other variables. I have the lights rigged now so the low beams run with the high beams so i'm pretty sure it can be done but i can't seem to make it work. has anyone done it? schematics? help.

thanks.

Reply to
Texas Legend

I bought a relay kit from Painless Performance that works with my 92 k1500 it turns on the low beams when the high beams are enabled...

the trigger wire would be your wire that feeds the high beams (when this is hot you want it to trigger the power to your aux lights)

Here is the way the wires run on my application. I had to replace the original relay.

red wire to bat voltage black to ground light green wire to high beam wire (light green wire from relay) tan wire to low beam wire (tan wire from relay)

if you used this setup ...you would just tap the wiring harness that feeds your aux lights with the tan wire . I don't know if this would work if you are talking about some aftermarket lights that draw a lot of watts in comparison to your normal headlights. Be careful here because you 'll need to use the appropriate gauge of wire to feed your aux lights and the proper amp rated relay. Also use an in-line fuse between the battery voltage and the relay. If you don't you may have a meltdown.

You can buy the relay, and in-line fuse from NAPA or other places, you also need the bottom bracket that the relay plugs into..

look at summit or jegs or one of the other online catalogs

I know you would need the breakout on the bottom of the relay, but I 've got the relay mounted in the truck where its a real pain to get too.

look here

all the parts were in the painless pkg....... other than the relay being bad everything worked. Instructions were well written.

I don't know what type vehicle you have, so I'm only relating my experience... you would need to make sure of the proper amp rated relay, the correct gauge (size) of wire , and the appropriate in-line fuse to be "safe".

email me at elbert.clarke**@us.army.mil if you would like for me to fax or email you a copy of the wiring diagram that came with the painless wiring pkg I bought. Remove the two ** to email. the diagram does not show the connections on the relay though, it just shows different colored wires coming off the relay. The wires on the bottom of the "Female" side of the relay were pre-installed.

Reply to
Elbert

I'm looking for a set of performance replacement driving lights to replace my stock units in my stock bumper valance. I have a 2000 (new model) Silverado Z71 with the factory driving lights. I thought about retrofitting a headlight socket to fit the housing and use a headlight bulb but figured I'd probably melt the housing down. Does anyone have any suggestions for aftermarket replacements that won't look like obvious replacements?

Rich

Reply to
Rich

try

they have HID replacements for the area your talking about....i believe.

legend.

retrofitting

Reply to
Texas Legend

i guess your email is bogus, here is what i tried to send you....

you might try

for a OEM looking replacement. theyare HID so they are pretty pricey but they may fit your needs. on theleft-hand side of the page follow these links: Sylvania Xenarc...scroll downtowards the bottom and find X2020 Chevy Silverado...about the middle of thepage click Xenarc X1010 Auxiliary Low Beam Kit. Although I haven't traded with this company as of yet I do plan on buying the HID headlight replacements for my new body '99 chevy. I've called the guy (i think its just a one man show working out of his house) and he has spoken to me, at length, about conversions and wiring issues....not necessarily related to any of his products. He has even talked to me 30+ min, on his dime, about some other issues i'm having wiring items he didn't sell me. In short, I think he is a pretty honest guy and he REALLY knows his stuff! if nothing else, call him up and if he doesn't have what you are looking for I'll bet the farm he'll point you in the right direction.

good luck.

retrofitting

Reply to
Texas Legend

That's pretty much what I'm looking for. Now if only there was a cheaper option. I'll give this item serious consideration though.

Thanks much, Rich

Reply to
Rich