brake switch not the problem...88 chev truck

Good day. I have come to the conclusion that the brake switch is not the problem. I say this because we have tried different ones. The strangest thisng is that when I disconnect the brake switch from under the dash, the lights are still on. Is this normal. Where else might I be looking to remedy this problem? Any thoughts appreciated.

Reply to
derekpigeon1 via CarKB.com

You might want to look at the hazard lights also, if I recall right they flash the brake lights. Maybe that switch/realy is stuck. My guess anyway...good luck

Bob

Reply to
82vette

the actual light sockets at the back corroded away in my 88.

Reply to
dave

I had light socket problems with my '88 also way back when, but it didn't cause the lights to stay on - it caused them to not come on at all. I agree with the previous poster and try replacing the emergency flasher relay and maybe even the turn signal relay as well.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

troll

Reply to
Marsh Monster

I had that problem on my '88 Sportside... and I think it ended up being a short in the trailer wiring plug? I can't remember the details... but somehow grounding or shorting the brake light wire in the trailer harness completed the circuit for the lights??? David

Reply to
David Courtney