engine ligt and running slugglish

:idea: Can someone tell me if it is necessary for the o2 sensor to be screwed into something or can it just hang? The engine light keeps coming on and the code is showing o2 sensor. They are all new but do I need to get it screwed in before the computer will detect it working correctly. 1996 chevy 1500 5.0 liter

Reply to
greasytool

Yes you do.

Reply to
Scott

"greasytool" wrote: > :idea: Can someone tell me if it is necessary for the o2 > sensor to be screwed into something or can it just hang? The > engine light keeps coming on and the code is showing o2 > sensor. They are all new but do I need to get it screwed in > before the computer will detect it working correctly. 1996 > chevy 1500 5.0 liter

I did mean light not ligt!!

Reply to
greasytool

the O2 sensor compares O2 content between 'ambient' (outside) air and the exhaust stream

if you just 'let it hang (assuming you ground the housing if a 1-wire)', it will read '0.0000' as the same O2 content is present both outside and 'inside'

short answer:

NO

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

TranSurgeon