Engine problem with a 1976 Chevy Cheyenne

I have a 1976 Chevy Cheyenne that I seem to be having engine trouble with. It runs rough at idle and surges a little when driving. When I accelerate quickly and let off the gas I hear a popping noise, almost like a backfire, but it?s not coming from the exhaust. I recently replaced the ignition module on this truck when it failed, and while I was there replaced the plugs, wires, distributor, and coil. Nothing seems amiss with any of this, but I?m still wondering if this repair has anything to do with the trouble I?m having. Any help would be appreciated. Thank in advance.

Reply to
kcar

Check the firing order. Sounds like you possibly have a couple of wires crossed!

Good Luck! Jim Smith

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

Jim Smith
5 & 7

been there, done that

> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:> >

TranSurgeon

Check and see if you might have gotten the distributor in there one tooth or more out of position. this could cause the trouble you are speaking of.

To put the distributor back properly, there is an old tried and true method. Unplug the ignition plug form the distibutor. Take #1 spark plug out, and hold your finger over the hole while somebody "bumps" the motor over a bit at a time, when your finger blows off the hole, #1 is close to firing position. Now, line up the timing marks at zero degrees (TDC) and put the distributor in again, making sure the rotor points to #1 position. You will have to reset the timing on the motor, but you will at least be in the ball park.

The distributor may not fully seat when you do this. if so, just have the other person bump the motor a few more times, and it will seat. (The Oil pump tang has to fit into the slot on the bottom of the distibutor shaft for it to seat).

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

Zombie Wolf

That 76 could care less where the distrib is installed tooth wise.. I could put it in so that it points 180 degrees, or 90 degrees or any other spot I so choose from where the book says and as long as I wire the distributor with that in mind it will run just fine.

Whitelighting

Reply to
Whitelightning

I had the same trouble with my 77..Bad camshaft...had a lot of bad ones in those days! Pull the valve covers, and see if the rockers are are all rocking , if there is one or two just being lazy, you have a bad cam...fun job!

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

Andy & Carol